In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

To old double shot guns

rhino43rhino43 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
One is Rev-o-Noc, 5 13876, HSB&Co 12ga. Tell me a little about this gun and what I kind of shells I can shoot in it. It is in great shape and no dings or rust. The blueing is alittle worn, and the stock has some ware but otherwise it looks darn good.
Now the other shotgun I know it not real old but it has some age to it is a Ranger X 83759 16 ga it has some ware to it some dings, blueing is wore. Lets just say it was use alot, and the owner have some good hunts with it. If it could only talk I bet it has some good tales. Thankyou for time.

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    H.S.B & Co. = Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Company of Chicago, Illinois, distributors of private label arms from various makers. Rev-O-Noc guns were made by Crescent Firearms (so, in your case, HSB&Co. distributed it). Your Ranger is a Savage/Stevens product made for Sears, Roebuck & Co. I've got your Ranger shotgun's twin brother in my closet!

OH! In reading your post again I see the question about ammuntion; so I'll add a post script in the form of an edit. These guns were both made after the era of smokeless powder has begun, and should be safe with modern shells. BUT--you should measure the chambers to ascertain if they are actually 2 3/4 inchs in length. My 16 ga. Ranger's chambers are 2 1/2 inch and I went through several boxes of shells as a youth without hitting anything before setting it aside in favor of a newer gun. It was only after going to gunsmithing school and learning that chambers haven't always been made in the modern configuration that I figured out the problem. Very often longer shells will fire in shorter chambers, but the crip at the end of the shell is unable to open all the way and the result is shot bouncing off the walls of the bore on the way down the barrel creating flat-sided shot and inaccuracy. This is easily fixed by a gunsmith with a 16 ga. forcing cone reamer--but this is not an item the average gunsmith has., as the tool is expensive and there is little call for this service. That's probably due in part to many of the old guns having gone to the scrap heap, having been previously converted, and the declining popularity of the 16 ga. (which seems to be coming back a little). Now the 12 ga. is another matter, as many gunsmiths routinely lengthen 12 ga. forcing cones to improve patterns. I've got the 16 ga. reamer, and even a chambering reamer, and have done this job for several people over the years; but have never gotten around to doing mine! If your chambers happen to be the standard length I'd use only standard and low base promotional loads out of respect for these guns advanced age; save the magnum-strength stuff for newer models.