In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need help with ID and value

SilverminoSilvermino Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am helping a friend identify a rifle and its value. I can send pictures to help as I am not familiar with these rifles and my verbal description will not do the condition and quality of the customization work justice. He has, I think, german model 98 8mm mauser that has been custom sporterized. It is an exceptionally good looking rifle. It has a modern checkered stock with a RedHead recoil pad. The bolt is jeweled as well as the cartridge plate in the magazine. It has a Marbles ramp sight with a hood over a Lyman front sight. The bluing is all there. There is a small rough spot on the right side of the barrel near the muzzle. The bore looks good to my old eyes. It does not look like it hase been used much since it was customized.

The markings are as follows:

The German eagle emblem in 3 places, on left side of barrel just in front of the receiver, on the left side of the receiver and on top of the receiver.

Serial number 390 on the left side of the receiver and on the floorplate and mag housing just in fron of the floorplate.

A lower case m in script below the serial number on the left side of the receiver.

G98/40 on the left side of the receiver beside the bolt.

jHV behind the eagle emblem on top of the receiver.

44 on top of the receiver.

What looks like 7191 on top of the barrel just in front to the receiver.

He is interested in selling the rifle but would like to get an idea what it might be worth.

Thanks

John

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately it use to be a fairly rare G98/40 Hungarian rifle used be the German Armed Forces during WWII.

Suffice to say it is not worth as much now (maybe 30%?) as before it was sporterized. The Duckhead pad tells me it was done thirty or more years back when they were plentiful, but not now.

Strictly a utility number now, so I would look at it as a bit more than a 30/30 in value.

You are your own best teacher. My advice is to question all things. Seek for answers, and when you find what seems to be an answer, question that too. L'Amour
  • Options
    SilverminoSilvermino Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks P3. It's too bad that things get modified and ruin their value. It is a fine looking piece though.

John
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone laments the customizing of all surplus military rifles. Why?

Back years ago, it was a normal and customary thing to take a military barreled action and rework it into a nice custom rifle. That is how many sportsmen could afford a hunting firearm. Griffin & Howe made some beautiful reworks of the Springfields that are collector pieces in their own rights today. The Mauser actions (German, Swedish, Spanish, South American, etc) have been converted into some real works of art that are fine shooters. In my safe, there are 5 rifles that are customized former military surplus. A Brazilian Mod 1908, A Remington Eddystone 1917 and 3 Swedish Mod 96/38's. If all mil surp's were left original, the value for one of them would be almost nil, compared to today's market.

I understand the nostalgia associated with the life and times of these items. That many people value them for the original condition and accuracy. Recreating military times of old certainly has it's followers. I admire a mil surp that's in prime condition as well as the next person. I also admire a conversion that has been done with craftsmanship into a beautiful sporting firearm.

OK, purists - take your best shots!

Keep off the Ridgeline