In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

50 BMG

bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I want to build or have built a bolt action 50 BMG.
Any views on actions, barrels, and brakes. Will be used for target.

Bill

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    does anyone make a 50 BMG in an AR platform or even AK
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What causes the 50 cal API projectile to become incendiary?

Thanks Steve
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone shoot or have any luck with a cast bullet for the 50 BMG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, maybe this is far fetched, but I saw a 50 BMG pistol the other day at a gun show, and was wondering if anyone knows who makes them. I am really interested in finding out pricing info on one of these babies. Not that I need one, but it might come in really handy, when, err,.... Hey, it would be cool to have.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've just started looking for one of these, came across a site called Watson's Weapons. I don't know anything about them, they seem to make "reasonably" priced guns that are styled well. Is anyone familiar with the company, thier quality, pros/cons - any info would be helpful. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone recommend a good brand 50 BMG single shot rifle for under $2000.00?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was wanting to know about the vulcan 50 bmg's does any one have one and how good are they? I know a barrett, armalite or mcmillian would be the best. this wouldn't be shot on a daily basis, maybe something for the weekends. Are they accurate? and very dependable, just looking for the pro's and con's
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In the case of a fifty caliber I would be very reluctant to build such a rifle myself using a variety of "off the shelf" components. If you have a gun smith doing the work who is familiar with fifty calibers that is fine, but if this is a do it yourself project I'd think twice because there is little or no margin for error with the big fifty. In my opinion for target shooting the finest fifty cal on the market comes from E.D.M. Arms and is marketed as the Windrunner. These rifles are top quality all the way around and have the advantage of easy takedown for transport. Take a look at www.edmarms.com and I think you'll be impressed.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill,

Check Robar at this link - http://www.robarguns.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=5&tabindex=3

They have been making these for the serious hunting/shooting public in Alaska, and they also make and supply these to special military units. I personally would love to have one, but would rather spend that kind of $$$$ on an antique Winchester Model 1885.

Forgot to add that you need to click on the "RC50 & RC50-F" link under the Precision Rifles section.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    gunner8479gunner8479 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you own an AR-15? If you do then you might want to consider buying a .50 BMG bolt action upper, I've seen some on the auction here and in the Shotgun News. It's a little cheaper than buying a complete .50 BMG rifle.

gunner8479
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Sorry to burst your bubble Bert but Robar is not directly marketing those towards the serious shooter/hunter in Alaska. Not many hunters I know want to pack around a 25 pound rifle.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

Buy firearms on the installment plan and Play while you Pay.

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So....Exactly what is it you guys hunt with a .50 BMG, anyhow? Elephans wearing body armor? Escaped deer from the planet Krypton?

I thought the .50 BMG was supposed to be like an anti-tank weapon?
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr, they make perfect TROLL guns.

redcedars

ps - tr - Relax guy, just wisecracking, no offense intended.
  • Options
    trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that's some sort of sly accusation that I'm trolling by asking what you'd hunt with a .50 BMG, I don't appreciate it. It was a perfectly serious question, couched with a little humor.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trstone
    So....Exactly what is it you guys hunt with a .50 BMG, anyhow? Elephans wearing body armor? Escaped deer from the planet Krypton?

I thought the .50 BMG was supposed to be like an anti-tank weapon?

trstone... several years back when the Feds allowed the Makah Indian Tribe to begin hunting grey whales again, they used a .50 BMG rifle to dispatch the whale after they had stuck it with the ceremonial harpoon. It only took one shot.

A fellow I am casually aquainted with at my local range has a Robar that he uses for long distance Elk hunting on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains in Washington state, and he does some hunting in Alaska (though I don't know what it is hunting up there). It is one seriously accurate rifle though... he routinely shoots sub 3" groups at the maximum distance on our range (600 yards), and claims that it will shoot sub 5" groups at 1000 yards.

As for you Mr. aglore... Burst Bubble[?] Well, you are intitled to YOUR opinion... but you might consider that Alaska is a LARGE state, and you live and work in a very small section of it. It may have been more accurate for me to say that they have sold a few of those rifles to people who do some hunting in Alaska, but then again, I didn't expect to get nitpicked about my first statement.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If you'd re read the man's post you'll see that he has no interest in hunting what so ever and plainly states that the rifle is intended for target shooting. One mile matches are becomming more and more popular and in this case the clear choice should be the Windrunner. Bill, you might also take a look at the Barret Model 95, although I don't feel it can compete with the EDM rifles for serious target use. McMillian has an excellent reputation with serious shooters so I'm sure that their fifty caliber (called the Boomer I beleive) would be a fine choice...even with such a stupid name for a $5000 rifle. If money is no object then I'd head right for the Accuracy International AW-50 as $10K will buy you a lot of rifle!

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunner, is that .50 conversion for the AR really for the .50 BMG? I thought it was for Beauwolf or something like that... I dunno, just thought that's what I've read somewhere.
    I shouldn't know, I don't have a .50 BMG gun or an AR-15 or variant... [;)]

Having a predictable enemy is better than having an ally you can't trust.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.