In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mdl 95 win

manchie390manchie390 Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
anybody tell me about winchester mdl 95 in 30 ARMY i think its a takedown? it was given to me with no wood - would it be worth restoring?

rick

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, yes, Yes, YES! Very much so! The .30 Army cartridge is also known as the .30-40 Krag, and the 1895 takedown is a very desireable gun!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks so much- i want to do it bad but i need a little ecouragement -

rick
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you will have in the end will depend a great deal of the condition of what you are starting with (condition of exterior metal, bore, etc.) and the quality of the work done. Boyd's Gunstocks are making an entire line of replacement stocks that are difficult to distinguish from the originals, and there are experts in metal refinishing that can closely approximate the original finish and make the old gun look new. Even if you don't wish to go to the expense of a restoration it can be made into a dandy hunting rifle. Good luck on your project.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    manchie... these folks make replacement stocks that are identical to the originals - http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/ I have used them to restore a few Winchesters.

Your Model '95 is a desirable rifle, but in a restored condition, it won't be a collector's specimen... just a real nice shooter.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The '95 in 30-40 Krag was used by the Texas Rangers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for input, found wood - taking steel to gunsmith today to have it checked out to be on the safe side

rick