In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger, centerfire Rifles????

chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
Does any body know why some of them will shoot good one day and not the next, useing the same ammo????????? I know several people that have that problem, I have a Ruger target model with the Lam. stock with a custom barrel with a tight neck chamber, I have to trim the necks to .010 I use niel jones dies. I am about to give up on it. Am taking it out to the range tomorrow with my tork wrench and adj the action screws, if that does not help I am going to get rid of it, and yes it has been glass beded and is in 222 caliber. I am all out of ideas sure hope some of you experts can help me, Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you say it shoots good and then not good, what group sizes are you refering to? Is a good group 1/2" and a bad one 1"? Or are you talking about going from 1-inch to 4-inches?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry I guess i didnt explaine enough, one day 5 shots in one jaged hole the next day 1 and a 1/2" Group. 5 shots same ammo.
  • Options
    moose56moose56 Member Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee, the rifle sounds okay to me! I know it's a tax on the brain to figure out why you can or can't do it all the time. Other than the rifle, look at yourself. Are you mating yourself to the rifle the same way each time? Are you applying pressure to the forearm or making contact with a rest in a different location? What about the weather - high humidity one day, relatively low the next. Have you tried lapping the bore if there has been a lot of rounds through the rifle? Don't give up - finding the culprit is part of the fun and aggravation.
    Moose
  • Options
    edited November -1
    moose, it has gone beyound fun and aggravation, I may just KILL it this week.[:(!][:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Easy now!
    I had the same "problem" with a M77MKII in 300 win Mag; seems Saturday is that guns' favorite day: 5 shots at 225 yds= 1/2" hole.
    Sunday, with the same ammo, target, sandbag & bench: 5 shots at 225 yds= 1 1/2" group with none touching!!!!!
    I got curious, and cleaned the bore thoroughly, pulled a random 5 shots out of the lot of 100, fired 5 into a little more than 3/4".
    Pulled 5 more at random and had a friend try it; all 5 touching in a perfect cloverleaf.
    Grabbed 5 in order and shot a 1 3/4" group.
    I thought it was the barrel warming up too quick, let it have a blast of CO2, and let it get back to room temperature, pulled 5 in order and shot a 1 1/4" group.
    Yanked 5 at random and amazed myself with a 1/2" hole.
    Came to the conclusion that it's MAGIC!!!!

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have good range days [:D]

Then, I have bad range days. [xx(]

On the bad days, I sack'um up when the trend is evident and await another day. Usually works out fine. [:)]

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you shoot at different times of the day? Is the grouping different in the AM than the PM? Do you consume large amounts of caffine? Have high blood pressure? The time you take medicines can affect how you shoot as can caffine as the day wears on. A lot of physical issues that come into play that are beyond the guns ability to deal with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hronda---Same Ammo, Same temp, same range, same shooter, same time of the day, same amount of coffee in the morning, I am not on any medication, And I always take along a nother rifle that I know shoots (IT AINT ME)[:0][:0][:0]

kbud--- How do you know when the Rifle is going to have a good day???? so you know when to take it out hunting. (sorry guys I cant go hunting today, it's the wrong day for my rifle)[:0][:0][:0]

Thanks guys for all the coments.[^][^][^]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you working with a compressed load?

any difference in the barrel each day i.e. (clean one day dirty the next? or dirty the first day and clean the next?)

checked the bases?

any wind variations? That is perhaps the most susceptable caliber to wind drift.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC, glad to see you jump in here. No the load is not compressed, and I dont shoot it when their is wind. I am going to adj the action screws to day at the range, If that does not do any thing I will glass the barell, then if nothing I WILL KILL IT.[:p][:p][:p]