In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PLEASE ! Help me decide on a scope.

patrick729patrick729 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a new mod. 70 winchester 30-06 with a boss and I need a really good scope. I've never bought a scope before. I can't decide between a Burris Signature or Fullfield II, a Bushnell Elite 4200, a Nikon Monarch, or a Weaver Grand Slam. I've read good things about all these scopes but I need to decide on the best ONE. I also can't decide on the 3x9x40, 2.5x10x44, 4x12x40, or 4x16x44. As you can probably tell I need a lot of help from some of you scope experts out there. I mainly will be hunting deer, but when I go to Idaho I may be hunting elk also so I may need to take a longer shot. I also like to shoot coyotes out there. Please help me pick out the BEST scope.

Comments

• Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Midway has a good deal on the Burris 3X9X40 Fullfield II with the Ballistic Plex reticle right now. $199 plus you get a free 20X50mm spotting scope. I have swapped out all of my Leupolds for Burris scopes.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

Buy firearms on the installment plan and Play while you Pay.

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I have 3200 and 4200 B&L and they are great, have them on heavy recoil rifles. am getting away from leupolds, they shake lose on mag rifles. In the past year I have sent 5 Leupolds back for repair, the Co. is great I get them back in about 10 days. I sent a Burris back for repairs and it took 6 weeks to get it back. and it takes me about $10 to ship them.
    I am realy P.O. about scopes, they cost all most as much as a rifle and they do not come close to lasting as long as a Rifle.
  • Options
    dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too am a Burris convert. I picked up a Burris Black Diamond earlier this year and have had absolutely no problems of any kind. I don't think that you can go wrong with anything from Burris.

"Practice is the best of all instructors."

Publilius Syrus
  • Options
    slave2slave2 Member Posts: 197 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive been using Leupold scopes on every gun Ive ever owned. Never had any problems what so ever. For the price, there the best around. I suggest the variXIII.
  • Options
    RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote for the Weaver. they never seem to fail and are a great scope for the price.
  • Options
    DemonDSDemonDS Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally think the best scope out there for the money is the Zeiss Conquest. Still not cheap but comparable with the better scopes. As for Quality it smokes them all! After that then my definate second choice is the Bushnell Elite 4200 (formerly known as Bausch & Lombs best scope). I feel it is superior to the leupold by alot and I know some people like them but you would never catch a Burris on any of my guns. I have heard very good things about the Grand Slam Scopes and i also would take a close look at the Simmons Aetec If you need to be in that price range. I hunt Wyoming and my Elite series scope has been flawless on my STW. It compares right there with my much more expensive Luepold LPS Scope I have. Oh and I would go with the biggest objective that you can if your going for Elk. Their superior light gathering ability can come in very handy on those Day break western Elk hunts. Unless your going targeting alot avoid Adjustable Objectives. They are a pain in the rear!!
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Leupolds on all my rifles. Been using Leupolds for 20 years. Never had a problem. I am not saying other companies don't make as good a scope because they may. I'm just saying I use Leupolds and have been very satisfied. If I need to buy another scope, I can assure you it will be a Leupold.

Rafter-S
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One other thing: I recommend you get the 3x9x40.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look at the 4-16x44 signature by burris or the weaver grand slam.

I have had just about every scope out there,...and they will all break. It is just a matter of time before we all have one that fails,..law of numbers.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris, Signature, Leupold Vari-X III, Nikon Monarch. My choices in that order. Check out www.bearbasin.com for nice prices and fine service.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been using Leuopolds since 1978. Never a problem. Consider a 3x9 40mm or maybe a 4x12.

National Rifle Association Endowment Member-Texas State Rifle Association Life member
  • Options
    NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to several articles in gun magazines, the NRA's American Hunter and Guns & Ammo, $800 is a "reasonably" priced scope. This is a pet peeve of mine since I cannot afford that much for a scope and am not about to pay more for the scope than the rifle. Several people I have encountered have told me anything less than that price is no good. I have a Nikon on my Tikka White Tail Hunter and I love it! Not only that, I was in a pinch to try out this fancy target/varmit rifle and the only "spare" scope I had was a $17 Tasco I bought from Natchez (I believe it was a $50 dollar scope sold at a Tasco is going out of business price). Its not as good as my Nikon but works okay for now. Anyone have any opinion on the Cabela's Alaskan Guide scopes?
  • Options
    NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For Rhonda, back in the 1970s I had a Weaver scope and it never failed. What do you think I might expect to pay for a 3X9 40mm scope that is water and fog proof?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Notpars, take a look at www.bearbasin.com except for sales, I don't think you will find lower prices anywhere.

My heros have always killed cowboys.