In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

20 gauge shotgun for lady

dchristiandchristian Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a 20 gauge shotgun for my wife for dove hunting. Any suggestions as to which model is best?
Thanks,
dchristian

Comments

• Options
    rockfordrockford Member Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dchristian
    I am looking for a 20 gauge shotgun for my wife for dove hunting. Any suggestions as to which model is best?
    Thanks,
    dchristian

First, she should decide on which type of shotgun, O/U, pump, SxS, single shot or auto. As far as size, you might look at Ithaca pumps.

Fred
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A semi-auto will punish her less,recoil wise.The pumps are less expensive,but kick a bit more.A lot of 20's are lighter than 12's and can kick almost as hard because of the weight difference.
    If you could find her a "youth" model 12 ga. semi,I think it would be a good alternative.Above all,it's gotta fit her.
    Neat that she's going shooting with you!!

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Browning A5 semi-auto, or a Remingtom 1100 semi-auto would be perfect for a lady shooter.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a winchester 1300 youth 20 when i started hunting and i still use it today. only weights 6 pounds and is really nice on the shoulder.
  • Options
    dchristiandchristian Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information.
    dchristian
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    I would respectfully disagree with those suggesting a long-action scattergun unless we're talking about a fairly tall woman with the appropriate build to shoulder such a weapon.

My first instinct would be to fit her with a nice little double. Kick will be much less of a factor if the gun fits, and a double will often be perfect for one of small stature. O/U would be next, but they're usually a bit longer and slightly harder to fit to a small person.

A pump would be dead last on the list even in youth configuration. Fairly long action, mechanical pump, and light weight contribute to a sometimes poor experience.

Nord
  • Options
    rrfhunterrrfhunter Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm lucky in that I let my daughter try on about 15 different shotguns of mine. She loves a 16 gauge Iver Johnson single shot. It all depends on your wife's build. We men tend to forget that females don't have the upper body strength that we do to rack the slide or swing a heavier auto. Recoil isn't an issue though.

Take her to the gunstore and try on everything they have. It's what she feels confident with that counts. If it's too big and awkward she won't enjoy the activity and it'll just be a waste of money.

....I never met a gun I didn't like!
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 1100LT in a 20 would be nice, if it fits her.
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    One gun that you should not buy her if you should run across one is the light weight Franchi 20 ga. auto. With the light weight of the gun you get a lot more felt recoil. You should look at weight in all choices because the lighter the shotgun, the more recoil will be felt. As to a beginner, the idea of a double or even single makes a lot of sense. If she has had some experience with any firearms then I would reccomend a good auto such as the Remington, Winchester, or Browning. As to the pump action gun, then if she has had some experience then I would reccomend the Remington or Mossberg youth models. Just my 2 cents worth.

God protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies...
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nord
    I would respectfully disagree with those suggesting a long-action scattergun unless we're talking about a fairly tall woman with the appropriate build to shoulder such a weapon.

Nord

Nord... as it just so happens, my wife is a 6' tall, blonde hair, blue eyed, Square Head (Norwegian).

Best,
    Bert
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    REMINGTON 1100 SPECIAL FIELD WITH A RECOIL REDUCER. GREAT BIRD GUN WITH LITTLE RECOIL. GOOD LUCK,

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget 28 gauge, really nice for doves and almost no recoil. I may never use a 12 again![:p] Honestly for smaller birds and skeet I frequently choose the 28 over the 12

My heros have always killed cowboys.