In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm mag -.243 (or 6mm) wildcat???

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone heard of such a thing or anything close? I was doing some research on the 6mm/.243 wildcats and couldn't find anything that would have the POTENTIAL of necking down the 7mm mag to 6mm. Of course just adding more powder doesn't mean more performance and would likely fling them fast enough to be a barrel burner anyway. But, I'm just thinking - it's all theory right now, I'm just curious...
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I think you'd be looking at specs like the .240 Weatherby Magnum.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    actually the better round for higher BC and flatter trajectory with downrange energy would be the 6.5-300wthby with a 1:8 twist barrel throated for the 140-142gr pills.[:p] still plenty small for varmints,..and plenty big for deer and paper way out there.[8]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bambihunter,

The cartridge that mostly matches your request is the 6mm Atlas as developed by H.R. Baker. He made it by necking down the .264 Winchester Magnum to 6mm. Others of note are:

.244 H&H Magnum
    .244 Durham Magnum
    6mm Ackley Magnum
    6x61 Sharpe & Hart
    6mm Arnold
    .240 Weatherby (mentioned above-less capacity)

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, that'll give my brain (or lack thereof) something to ponder for a while. Do you guys know if any of the cartridges listed is the same length cartridge and bolt face of the 7mm mag or .300 mag (which is what I was thinking of making it from)?
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .264 Win Mag, the 7mm Rem Mag and the .300 Win Mag all share a common case. The body of the .300 WM is just slightly longer than the others. Base (or head) diameter is the same for all three. All share the same 25 deg shoulder angle. Yes, necking this case down to .243 will most certainly make a barrel burner 1st class. The .264 WM gained this reputation when first brought out. More modern steel barrels solved this problem to a degree. For occassional shooting, it would not be too bad. For a dedicated varmit hunter, about the time it gained it's best accuracy you'd probably need another rebarreling or rechambering with appropiate set-back.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bambihunter,

The 6mm Atlas is made from the .264 Winchester Mag. and then shortened to 2.475 case length. There isn't anything listed that I can find quickly, made from the .300 or 7mm. Get the drawings from both cartridges and the Atlas and compare them.

As you state, adding more powder doesn't mean more performance and with a case capacity of 82.0 grains of water, there is a lot more powder than you need.

The best belted case for the 6mm is the one mentioned earlier, the .240 Weatherby. This is a superb cartridge for hunting or varmint shooting. Following this but without a belt, in my opinion, would be the .243 Win. AI and the 6mm Rem. AI. The Remington version is my personal choice because it has a longer neck than the .243 Win.

Note: while all three cases share the same rim, belt and head diameter, they each have separate and different body, shoulder and neck lengths. The .300 is also 2.620" long as mentioned, while the .264 and the 7mm are 2.500" in length. Please look at a reloading manual with case drawings before continuing.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys, what a wealth of knowledge this group posesses.

The only Weatherby's that I shot weren't as accurate as my factory Rem. 700's are and thier ammo is expensive, but I'd bet that could be overcome by reloading. There isn't many listings for factory .240's or .264 mags. I couldn't find any with a heavy barrel.
    Thanks again guys! [:)]
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    You need to shoot a different Weatherby. Mine are pretty accurate.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    BH- Why don't you just get the regular 6mm Rem and stop yer whining? Everyone keeps trying to improve on perfection[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heck KJ, I can't even find one of them in a heavy-barrel (preferably a SS Rem. 700).
    I have even looked at .243. It seems like all these varmit guns are set up with sporter weight barrels. Since this gun will be the replacement for my beloved .220 Swift I want it to be a heavy (don't ask why)[?]
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    That's why you get a Shilen barrel. My 721 has a 6mm factory bull barrel but they are darn hard to find for the 700 or the 721 anymore. Was hoping they'd make the Sendero in 6mm sometime.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kingjoey
    Was hoping they'd make the Sendero in 6mm sometime.

You and me both buddy! I'd like a SF version (and while I'm at it, take of that friggin' lockin' safety!)...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bambihunter,

Here is something directly from the Remington site:

"The Model 700T VLS delivers tack-driving, varmint rifle accuracy with a handsome, resin-impregnated, laminated stock. Includes Monte Carlo cheekpiece, and a wide, flat, beaver tail shape fore-end for enhanced stability. Firmly bedded in the stock is a rigid Model 700T action, mated with a vibration-dampening 26" heavy varmint barrel. All metal has a richly blued, fine satin finish."

MODEL 700T VLS
    Caliber
    Barrel Length Rate of Twist Overall Length Avg. Wt. (lbs.) Order No. MSRP*
    22-250 Rem. 26" 14" 45 1/2" 9 3/8 27489 $725
    223 Rem. 26" 12" 45 1/2" 9 3/8 27491 $725
    243 Win. 26" 9 1/8" 45 1/2" 9 3/8 27495 $725
    6mm Rem. 26" 9 1/8" 45 1/2" 9 3/8 27493 $725
    308 Win. 26" 12" 45 1/2" 9 3/8 27499 $725

LOP: 13 1/2"; Drop at Comb: 15/16"; Drop at Heel: 13/16"
    *NOTE: U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Actual price may vary.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700vls.htm

Other than that, you can check the varmint hunting sites for used or new rifles chambered in 6mm Rem. with heavy barrels.

www.varminthunters.com

Best.