In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

m1a loaded, is it worth it?

sr338sr338 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
I'm deciding which springfield m1a to buy. The "loaded standard" is about 175-300 dollars more that just the "standard" or base model. It says the loaded comes with a "bundle" of upgrades but from what I've gathered, its just a new barrel and better ironsights.
I'm a pretty good shot, but by no means am I a precision shooter, I don't even know if I'm going to put a scope on it. Is buying the loaded model really worth it? Will I even notice a difference?
Thanks a lot you guys, I appreciate it.

Osama Bin Laden says "vote John Kerry"

out to prove he's got nothing to prove.

Comments

• Options
    RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "loaded package" barrel is a medium weight conture with a match chamber. This means premium quality .308 ammo, not 7.62 Nato surplus. Loaded package rifles usually have much tighter action to stock fit. The trigger is a "match" type with about 4 1/2 lbs trigger pull vs 5 1/2 lbs or more on standard model. I think the front sight is different too but don't remember the specifics. The upgrades would probably cost more if you added them to a standard model. If you want to try competitive shooting, the loaded package is probably worth it. If you want a rifle for defensive use or just playing around, probably the standard model would be the better choice.
  • Options
    jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you checked out the Springfield website? They describe pretty good what the diffrences are.

Standard:
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/*-rifles-m1a-stan.shtml

Loaded:
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/*-rifles-loaded.shtml

As far if it is worth it or not, only you can decide. Like Raoul stated, depends on what you are wanting it for.