In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.17 HMR Info.

kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone comment on their satisfaction with the .17 HMR? The ballistics look incredible but can a bullet that light have and real knock down power on varmits, especially at 100 yards +? I'm looking at a Marlin bolt action.

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    the answer is YES , different members have report taking ground hogs out to around 200 yards with that round , if you do a search here on GB you should come up with several topics about the .17HMR just ask GHD
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    will do the job.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love mine (Savage 93) accurate! deadly on small varmints. GHD rolled a fat Ground hog with his at 235 yards! [:D]
  • Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love mine. I've got the Marlin VSS (I think that's right). Stainless with laminate stock, Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy series. I also installed a Rifle Basix trigger. I haven't tried any large varmints, but I can say that it's very deadly on rabbits and squirrels at 100 yards. Go for the head shot. It's more than capable of it.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Have had a barrel for my Contender for 6 weeks now, you can't go wrong with this round! Shot my first 40+40 two weeks ago; I've been shooting steel over 30 years and ain't never shot a perfect two-stage match!!! I kinda pi$$ed off the local club hero with his .22lr Browning, so I started shooting Big Bore for splats! This weekend, we'll be using the Smallbore targets at the Big Bore range! I think I might sweep this one, too.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID