In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Small Revolver

beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
What is the best small revolver? A Smith and Wesson chief special or a Colt Detective Special? Which one is more durable? What are the advantages to each other than the Colt having six shots instead or five?

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I'll tell you this. I got a hammerless S&W 5-shot .38 special titanium. It freakin' hurts w/ +P ammo. The trigger pull is also way too heavey.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both and like each for it's uniqueness. That being said, the trigger on the Colt is much better than the Smith.

I have Uncle Mike's Boot grips on the Smith, which makes it a very nice size package. I put Pachmayrs (Thanks Salzo) on the Colt which are bulky but make it very shootable.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Colt....

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Durability is not an issue when you are looking at 2 of the finest quality manufacturers. Keep in mind that the Colt has been discontinued for several years.

I like the older model S&W chiefs (M36, 37, 60), as they are smaller & lighter than comparable Colts. That's especially true with the 2nd generation DS.

I agree with Ben about the lightweight snubbies. The nice thing about the older S&W's is that, if the trigger is too heavy, you easily (& cheaply) replace the springs with Woolf springs.

Neal
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are good but you got to give the nod to the Colt. Why? Smoother trigger, six shots and better balance. But.... the Smith is nothing to sneeze at.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TAKE A LOOK AT THE RUGER 101.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duckhunter is right. The Ruger is a better gun than either the S&W or the Colt,and it's cheaper.Also check out the Taurus.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beagle
    What is the best small revolver? A Smith and Wesson chief special or a Colt Detective Special? Which one is more durable? What are the advantages to each other than the Colt having six shots instead or five?

Which is better oranges or grapefruit?

I personally prefer the Smith & Wesson because I find it easier to push on the cylinder release than to pull on it.

quote:Originally posted by rimfire72
    The Ruger is a better gun than either the S&W or the Colt,and it's cheaper. Also check out the Taurus.
    No way.
    avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

Lafayette.gif

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Henry, either make is going to provide outstanding service and I feel that both Colt and S&W are on a pretty equal footing with close to the same features between models and unless you are concerned with which way the cylinder rotates I don't see a clear advantage to either. My own favorties are the Colt Agent and S&W Model 37 Airweight but I have several others sitting around and I am also very fond of the Model 60 and the Detective Specials. The Ruger and Taurus are both good solid pistols but are just not in the same class as the Colts and S&Ws in this segment of the handgun market.
    SmallrevolversII.jpg

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I've used Colt Detective Specials and a 1950s Agent, as well as S&W 36 & 60s; My opinion is that the Colt is better in operation and fit/finish than the Smith. It's been several years since I have used a Ruger revolver, and there is a reason for that, though they may have improved.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    I have a Smith Model 49 (steel Bodyguard) and a Detective Special. Both are fine shooters, and both seem comparable in fit & finish.

I'd be hard put to choose between 'em.
  • Options
    easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a tough choice. I am accustomed to pushing the cylinder release rather than pulling it because I shoot so many large S&W revolvers. For concealed carry I'd have to go with the S&W to ensure I could get off quick reloads...if ever necessary. I use the Bianchi strip-clips to carry an extra five rounds, they carry easier than a rounded type speedloader, though not as fast.

"They're in front of us, they're behind us, they're to our left and to our right...they can't get away now." Chesty Puller

SEMPER FI