In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

savage rifles

cannibuscannibus Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
Whats the difference between the 110 and the 11f?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I was given 3 Savage Rifles from a friend several years ago. I basically have no need for these because I do not collect them nor do I hunt. I believe they would be more appreciated by someone who collects Savage Rifles. Can someone direct me in the right direction to sell these and possibly give me an estimated value on the following:
    1. .284 win s/n 1139**** Lever action/ Letters SP in a cirlce/ Monte Carlo Stock/ finish is cracking
    2. .358 s/n 1038*** Lever action/ has a letter R/ some scratches on stock
    3. .22-250 s/n c466*** is on the stock, but seems to has an aftermarket barrel from a gunsmith
    I would appreciate input from anyone
    thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are all of their rifles controlled-round-feed now? If so, when did they start this?

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What do all of the different rifle #'s mean with a savage bolt action? 110,111,10,12, 16???? Ruger, Remington and Winchester have only one #
  • Options
    edited November -1
    guys...very possibly going to buy the savage 110GXP3...what do you think of it? and which caliber is better? the 300 mag or 300 rum?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what is the difference in the Savage 110's, 111's, and 114's

I have a 110 and love it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can an accu-trigger be installed on an older savage that doest have it
    thanks
  • Options
    tony2772tony2772 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    what are you shooting at [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    whitetail and black bear
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are a great value and some are VERY accurate out of the box, as far as the 300 mags I would stick to the more common 300 win or wby mags just for the avalability of ammo in some areas,Just my opinion[;)]

nysrpa.jpgtnusa.gifNoPETA.jpg
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 110 package is a no frills gun that does its job for the price. The Savage rifles are very accurate and a solid action. The scope you will get is pretty much a piece of junk and I would wonder if it will hold up on a magnum rifle. Wood is not the greatest either. I would also stick with a .300 Win Mag based on the previous advice from deerhunter.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    A 300 magnum is overkill for anything you'll find to hunt in New England (even moose in Maine).

Have you considered the Savage "Hunter" Series in .308?
  • Options
    easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I would avoid the 300 magnums unless you plan to hunt out West for larger game or over extended distances.

It s cheaper & easier on the shoulder if you enjoy long sessions of range time. The scope included in Savage's package will last longer on a non-magnum caliber. If you go with 308 Win there is readily-available surplus ammo for plinking. The 308 has an enviable record of accuracy and is a joy to reload.

Savage rifles are excellent shooters. Accuracy out of the box that is second to none in mass produced rifles....and especially in their price range.

"They're in front of us, they're behind us, they're to our left and to our right...they can't get away now." Chesty Puller

SEMPER FI
  • Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a used 30 06 here on GB for about $200 if you are diligent. Add a good scope and you are set. You end up with the same money in it as the package gun but with a far superior scope.

The older 110's had a fully adj trigger.

mag
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i only suggested 300 win mag because the guide that is taking me hunting said that it is a fien deer cartridge ( i think its overkill) but its even better for bear and moose...went to the Galyans the next town over and they have the [ackage deal in 30-06 with scope for $420...not a bad deal at all and 30-06 is what i think to be the ideal deer cartridge...however ime very interested in the wsm calibers...and the guy at Galyans told me compared to a regular winchester mag, it would shoot flatter, straighter, longer and hit with more punch than a regular 300 win mag...so many calibers these days...it really makes my head spin
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:however ime very interested in the wsm calibers...and the guy at Galyans told me compared to a regular winchester mag, it would shoot flatter, straighter, longer and hit with more punch than a regular 300 win mag...so many calibers these days...it really makes my head spin

Well the guy at Gaylan's needs to get his story straight. The 300 WSM is the equivalant of the 300 Win Mag but in a shorter case. It is only equal to the 300 Win Mag with bullets up to 180 grains, once you start loading 200 and 220 grain bullets, it cannot keep up with the 300 Win Mag.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

VIP Code: 900440

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    vegasbljvegasblj Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get in 30-06, you can buy federals hi-energy line in 30-06 that will come close to the velocity of a 300 mag if you need it.

Also does the savage your looking at have the accu-trigger, if not they are over priced, there is some pretty good deals floating around on the pre accu-trigger models. I my self would pay the extra for the accu-trigger, i have herd nothing but god about it.

ben
  • Options
    easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aglore is right on the money. You can use the 300WSW for deer with light, quick expanding bulletts with 'partitioned' rear sections the meat damage (from a poor shot) shouldn't be too bad. It will shine much better as a moose/bear round.

If you hit your deer in the lungs (only), you'll have a FINE set-up.

"They're in front of us, they're behind us, they're to our left and to our right...they can't get away now." Chesty Puller

SEMPER FI