In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 S&W SPECIAL CTG

RGUIDRY6RGUIDRY6 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
A few years back I aquired this revolver. It is very accurate and enjoyable to shoot. I have been trying to get some info about it and have not had any luck. It has all The Pat#s on the barrell starting from Marh 27 93 to Sept 14 06. 63 is stamped on the frame and the cylinder pivot. It retains 90% of the orignal blueing. Any info would help me on my adventure.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have this gun that belonged to my grandfather and I am trying to determine something about its history and its worth. The barrel bears the inscription ".38 s&w special ctg" but the only thing resembling a serial number is the number "2" which is inscripted on the bottom of the barrel, on the back of the cylinder and on the inside of the star. I know this looks nothing like a serial number but I can't find any other numbers anywhere. The revolver is pretty old and I am pretty sure it was used in the Mexican revolution war. The grip is made of deer horn and it even has many little hand-made marks which supposedly represent the dead guys--so used to say my grandpa. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I tried to post some pics but I don't seem to be able to do it here...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I HAVE AN THIS OLD GUN PASSED DOWN FROM MY GRANDFATHER I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WOULD KNOW THE APPROXIMATE VALUE. THE ONLY MARKINGS IT HAS ON IT ARE
    38 S&W SPECIAL CTG ON THE BARREL,
    V 24737C UNDER THE BARREL
    989003 WHERE THE CYLINDER SWINGS OPEN ALSO AN S STAMPED IN THERE
    IT HAS AN IVORY HANDLE WITH MEDALLIONS THAT SAY FRANZITE ON EACH SIDE
    THERE IS A STAMP ON THE RIGHT SIDE BUT IT IS UNREADABLE
    ON THE TOP OF THE BARREL IT HAS: SMITH AND WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS USA THEN ITS UNREADABLE THEN IT SAYS SEPT 14.09.DEC.29.14
    AND IT HAS FIXED SIGHTS

IF ANYONE KNOWS THE APPROX. VALUE OR AGE PLEASE RESPOND

THANKS

ROBERT GUIDRY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My uncle, who was a security officer in Florida, recently passed away and left his two handguns to me. I was hoping someone could approximate the selling value of these. The first is a Smith & Wesson 38 special CTG, ser. number D460993, and the writing mod 10-6 near the inside of the revolver mechanism. The bluing is good, but has some wear near the end of the barrel. The second is an AMT CAL. 380 9MM KURZ back up, ser. number A98099. It looks to be in near perfect condition, as if it had never been fired. I have photos, but don't know how to post them. thanks
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Confusing info.

The mfg. and patent info date and position on top of the barrel indicates an older revolver. However, if one accepts the V prefix and that the number ends in "0" and not "C" then you have a revolver known as a Victory Model and they were produced between 1942 and 1945 with yours being prior to the addition of the hammer block which resulted in an "S" suffix, but the "S" stamp you noted could be an indicator that the revolver was modified in 44-45 with the new hammer block.

If you accept the 989003 as the s/n then the revolver was mfg. prior to 1942 and the "S" stamp may be an indication that it was modifed with the new hammer block in 1944-45.

Also, in the same serial number ranges for either case above, S&W mfg. what was known as the 38/200 British Service Revolver, but with the barrel marked 38 S&W Special Ctg. that, along with the absence of British proof marks that basically eliminates this idea.

Of course there is one other possiblility ... you say that markings a a little hard to read, this may be a revolver assembled from refinished parts that have had some if not all markings buffed out. It's a stretch ... but hey, we do what we can.

Pictures offering good closeup detail of what marks there are is about the only way we may have a nailing this down further in the medium.

Oh BTW the Franzite grips are inexpensive aftermarket grips that were pretty popular in the 50's and somewhat into the 60's/

2470103-S.gif

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!