In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1866 chassepot needle gun

m_stelmaszekm_stelmaszek Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have an 1866 chassepot needle gun and I have no clues about it, it has the inscription "Manufacture Imperiale Mutzig Mle.1866" on the side it also says that the actual date it was manufactured was 1868. but I have no other info about it. I would like to find the aprox. price i would sell it at, and any other info i can find. I know for a fact that it hasnt been modified at all.My pics arent working correctly so if you want/need pics please email me. I really want to know some more info about this thing. I am 90% sure that it hasnt been reworked at all, why is it that most of the chassepots ive seen have silver barrels, mine looks to be a black or darker color, could just be slight surface rust though. all the serials match, but i dont have the bayonete. does anyone out there have a price range for this thing??

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reference notes that the Chassepot system was adopted by the French Military in 1866. Many different versions were made before and after the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. The most common being the Model 1866 Infantry Rifle.

We would have to have QUALITY pictures of your Chassepot, to help you find a value for it. Many of these rifles were reworked/sporterized over the years, which has a negative effect on their value to a collector.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by m_stelmaszek
    I have an 1866 chassepot needle gun and I have no clues about it, it has the inscription "Manufacture Imperiale Mutzig Mle.1866" on the side it also says that the actual date it was manufactured was 1868. but I have no other info about it. I would like to find the aprox. price i would sell it at, and any other info i can find. I know for a fact that it hasnt been modified at all.
    [img]C:\Documents and Settings\mastelma\My Documents\eBAY\Chassepot\scribe1.jpg[/img]
    [img]C:\Documents and Settings\mastelma\My Documents\eBAY\Chassepot\full1.jpg[/img]

Your pictures aren't showing up, red x's are all we're seeing.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    My reference notes that the Chassepot system was adopted by the French Military in 1866. Many different versions were made before and after the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. The most common being the Model 1866 Infantry Rifle.

We would have to have QUALITY pictures of your Chassepot, to help you find a value for it. Many of these rifles were reworked/sporterized over the years, which has a negative effect on their value to a collector.

luger_4.jpgIf truly a needle gun, I don't think it would have been sporterized. Even the most hacksaw happy bubba gunsmith would have no reason to hack up a gun that for all purposes can't be shot. If it is one that was converted to fire the same cartridge as the Gras though, anything is possible.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk

If truly a needle gun, I don't think it would have been sporterized. Even the most hacksaw happy bubba gunsmith would have no reason to hack up a gun that for all purposes can't be shot. If it is one that was converted to fire the same cartridge as the Gras though, anything is possible.

M_Stelmaszek is not referring to the Dreyse "Zundnadelgewehre" ( Needle Guns ) in his post. Those were all made in Prussia ( Sommerda, Danzig & Spandau ) and used by the German forces during the Franco-Prussian War.

His Rifle? is a French Chassepot made at the Mutzig Arsenal in 1868. The term "Needle Gun" was more commonly used with the German Rifles rather then the French ones.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Just a shot in the dark,but does it look something like this?

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=23580206

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BOBBYWINS
    Just a shot in the dark,but does it look something like this?

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=23580206

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.

That's what it looks like, but the date is wrong. By 1878 the French had already adopted the Gras as their standard Infantry Rifle. The rifle in the auction may be a Chassepot that has been reworked to take the 11 x 59R metallic Gras cartridge. A original Chassepot "Needlegun" that used combustible cartridges that is factory original,i.e. never converted/reworked, would be of great collector interest/value.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I nthe picture of the rifle and bayonet, is that the correct model bayonet? It looks more like a Gras bayo to me, and looks nothing like the Chassepot bayo (dated 1866 on the spine)I have hanging on the wall at home! I realize I'm heading off course here, but if you guys could enlighten me I would appreciate it!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)