In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

250-300 Savage

jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
Is the 250-300 Savage and the 250 Savage the same cartridge?

J. Patrick Tatum

Comments

• Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also- the parent cartridge of the 22-250
  • Options
    01DUSE01DUSE Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I understand, the 250Savage was originally called the .250-3000 because it was the first factory loaded sporting cartridge to reach 3000 fps(when factory loaded with an 87 gr bullet)

Men, like bullets, go farthest when they are smoothest.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .250-3000 is correct, for the reason stated, though it was later loaded down some, and remains so. Still a neat cartridge, and we all knew jptatum meant.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks hedog. The missing last zero was a mistake on my part. I always wondered why it was there.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    When you have the time for a pretty cool little history lesson, look up the .250 and .300 savages, both of which are the TRUE predecessors of popular modern rounds. These chamberings are very effective and still quite popular in parts of the country today. I'm a Savage nut and still take the old Model 99 Chambered in .300 for a stroll a couple of times a year. One of my two sons ALWAYS wants to use it for deer here in Wisconsin, even though there are plenty of other choices right here in the house!