In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ACOG Scopes?

tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking about putting a scope on my black rifle. (HBAR Flattop.) What do you guys think of the Trijicon ACOG scopes? I'm just a recreational shooter and new to scoped rifles. Any comments or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Raider006Raider006 Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my ROTC instructors was telling me that they had them on their M-4s in Afghanistan, and that they performed flawlessly.

Austin Raider
    SFA ROTC Lumberjack Battalion
    Raiders Lead The Way!
    flash.jpg
  • Options
    phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should be getting one here shortly and I will post a review once I get it.

CMMG M4A2
    CavArms 14.5"/1.5"
    Oly 20" HBAR
    Spring 1911-A1
    SIG 220
    S&W 629 Classic
    Ruger MK1
    Mossberg 500A
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Mosin-Nagant M38
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The Trijicon Reflex NSN is my personal choice and you can go with either the flat top mount or carrying handle. The fact these units need no batteries is a very big plus in my own opinion plus they are light and very rugged. Since 99.98% of civilian shooters will never have the occassion to engage a hostile target with a rifle these sights tend to be rather high end toys....but there is nothing wrong with that!
    TrijaconReflexII.jpg

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    here is my ACOG(TA01NSN) mounted on my RRA upper(CavArms bbl):
    DSCF0212.JPG
    I really do LOVE it(havent shot with it yet), VERY clear, and I like the tritium iluminated reticle(visible in dark conditions only). The TA01NSN also comes with a set of iron sights on top of the scope, just in cause the scope fails.

CMMG M4A2
    CavArms 14.5"/1.5"
    Oly 20" HBAR
    Spring 1911-A1
    SIG 220
    S&W 629 Classic
    Ruger MK1
    Mossberg 500A
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Mosin-Nagant M38
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pictures shown are a 'Reflex', and a Tri Power(illuminate dot) not ACOGs.

ACOG (shown below) are wonderful for short range hunting, and military usage.....especially those 'close encounters'

Super rugged, fast target aquistion, lock on, and follow thru.
    "BAC" works very well after one gets used to it.

Although somewhat expensive, I prefer the ACOG over Reflex or Illuminated Dots (they're sights not scopes) due to the multiple usage it covers for almost any situation.

Pics not showing...go to www.trijicon.com

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with Mark on this one. The Trijicon Reflex is probably the best all around "dot sight" out there. No battery means no forgetting to turn it on when you need it most. I do believe that the ACOG has an advantage at the longer ranges due to it having a 3X to 4X magnification but that can also really begin to suck if you have to shoot on the move or from vehicles. I had a chance to use one out of the back of a SUV doing about 30mph and that 4X makes everything move a WHOLE lot more. I found it a lot easier just having a bright dot like the Reflex in those situations.

Tomh, to really answer your question you would have to tell us what the rifle will be primarily used for. Target shooting/plinking or more of a duty rifle? Also if it is going to be a duty rifle, what type of environment will the rifle be deployed in?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Still not able to insert the pics....must be doing something wrong.
    Suggestions welcome.

Check out the BAC reticles from 1.5X up to 5X.
    Was designed for fast shooting of either a moving target , or while on the move.
    You can "point & shoot" with BOTH eyes open. That's much better especailly in low light or the dark where Reflex is weak, especailly since targets are magnified.
    Once used to the Bindon Aiming Concept for close encounters, especially @ 1.5X you'll never go back to conventional.

Try a Google search for Bindon Aiming Concept.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ive used both the acog and the reflex sights and would not hesitate to buy either if i could afford one right now. a reflex sight is on my list of stuff to get.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ummm....Are you sure this is a TriPower...
    DSCF0212.JPG

CMMG M4A2
    CavArms 14.5"/1.5"
    Oly 20" HBAR
    Spring 1911-A1
    SIG 220
    S&W 629 Classic
    Ruger MK1
    Mossberg 500A
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Mosin-Nagant M38
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Phxtravis,
    Ummmmm is right. Thanks for helping open both eyes.

Have you spent any time shooting in different light conditions?
    Why the NSN over the BAC?

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns & Glass,

I agree that the reflex is not as bright in low lighting as the ACOG due to the ACOG superior light gathering system. Most of these sights were designed to allow the shooter to shoot with both eyes open so it does not limit their peripheral view. I am familiar with the BAC Reticle and was not aware that it came in a 1.5X. I have looked on Trijicon website and the lowest power setting is 3.5X. Do you have a part number for a 1.5X?