In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning A5 for deer hunting?

aerogenius1aerogenius1 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have an A5 that I have been thinking about using for Deer hunting this year. I have two barrels for this shotgun. One is a 28 in with vent rib, I am assuming this would be a bird barrel not sutible for slugs. The other is a smoth bore barrel w/o vent rib but with a variable choke on it. Can either of these barrels be used for slugs?

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, you can determine the choke of the "bird barrel". On the barrel you will find some markings like *, ** or **-. If you will post what the mark is I can tell you what the choke is.

I have no experience shooting slugs in an A5 but have shot them in an 870 Remington with cylinder bore. They are amazingly accurate at 50 yards.

I am sure the variable choke barrel would handle slugs if you set the variable choke at the most open position.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello aerogenius...

The adjustable choke barrel should be just fine. You may have to tinker with it to determine which setting it likes the best (most accurate). Also be sure that the friction ring is set for heavy loads so that you don't beat the gun to death.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert,

What do you mean by "the friction ring" being set for heavy loads? I am not sure what you are referencing.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aerogenius1
    Bert,

What do you mean by "the friction ring" being set for heavy loads? I am not sure what you are referencing.

Pull the forestock off of the gun... inside the forestock channel you should see a diagram that will explain it for you. The Browning A-5 was made so that it can shoot both light skeet loads, and heavy hunting loads. If you shoot skeet loads with the friction ring in the "heavy load" position, the action will not cycle completely (no longer works as a auto-loader), and conversely, if it is set for light loads, and you shoot heavy hunting loads, it will beat the receiver to death (eventually).

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the assistance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I looked on the forstock for the diagram. I do not see what you are referencing. Could you possibly explain further?

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all for the help, I have located a downloadable manual for this shotgun and it explains all the functionality of the friction ring settings.

Thanks again to all who commented.

Kirk
  • Options
    fishfish Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kirk,

Can you post the location of the downloadable manual. I too am setting up the friction ring on an old gun, thanks.

Fish
  • Options
    MuffinmanMuffinman Member Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The friction ring is turned over for heavy loads. It rest against the spring. Yes it will be a good dear gun with Sabo rds. which are on the button out to 125 yds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fish,

I found the manuals at http://www.browning.com/products/manuals/index.asp

I hope this helps and good luck hunting!

Thanks,