In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7'4" Long Fortress Gun

electrotech99electrotech99 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a gun that my Dad purchased from an antique shop in Vermont in 1969. I remember as a kid finding a LARGE gun for my Dad on the shelf as he was brousing the shop. At the time of purchase the shop owner explained that the 7'4" long precussion gun was mounted on the side of a fortress in the early 1800s and used to combat Indians attacking.It barrel diameter is rather large and we were told that they would use nails-rocks or what ever so that it would act like a shot gun and have a large kill rate.
The gun is in working order and even has the orginal ram rod. The stock is in good shape with one small crack and the does not appear that there are any manafacturing marks on the firearm. At one time my father was informed that there were only 6 manafactured, and was once contacted by a museum that wanted to display because there were only 2 know left in existence. Since my father has passed away I have no way of knowing the museum and would like to find out if anyone has any information on a "Fortress Gun".
Any help that you can provide will greatly be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    WITHOUT A PICTURE IT WOULD BE HARD TO TELL WHAT YOU HAVE FOR SURE.But my guess is that what you have is a "PUNT" gun these guns were used by "MARKET" duck hunters and used on a boat called a punt that set very low in the water and was floated into the middle of a flock of ducks one shot would kill dozens at one time they were outlawed and they are not common but there were many made . Go to ducks unlimited web site to get more info.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    There were punt guns and there were wall guns. Without pictures and an expert opinion, this could be either. Either way, it is a valuable relic of the past.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were "wall guns" which were essentially semi-cannon in both Europe and Asia going back hundreds of years to the virtual beginning of firearms use in combat, although the ramrod puts it toward the latter end of that period. There were even some cartridge versions of some breechloaders in the late 1800s (the ammo is extraordinarily scarce). I'm not aware of an American version, but it is entirely possible. Absent photos, identification markings (if any) or even the action type, it is very hard to determine what you might have. You need to have this examined by a qualified expert - particularly for proofs, maker's marks, etc. Respectfully, an antique dealer seeking to make a sale may or may not have that expertise. The first resource I'd consult would be the NRA's National Firearms Museum. If they don't have the expertise in-house, they can direct you to someone who does.

No matter its maker or intended use, I agree completely with David - you have a historical, and valuable, piece.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain) ". . . And liberals / demoMAGGOTS" (me)
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Try these 2 guys they are heavy into cannons for a long time.
    They both do movie stuff and are about the best resource for any kind of information for what your looking for.
    The Old Western Scrounger especially...
    http://www.guiettemfg.com
    http://ows-ammunition.com
    Lots of luck
    walte
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the first post reply nailed it. Very likely a Punt gun, and also very likely made in Belgium. Look around and see if you don't see a marking indicating Liege. These proofs are a good indicator that it was made in Liege Belgium as they made most of those "market Guns" there. The fact that it is stocked would lead me to think that it is a waterfowl weapon as opossed to a fortifications piece. The Belgians used what looked like a fat, low canoe, would mount the gun on a type of pintle of the bow of the boat and lay down in the bottom of the boat. At that point they would stealthily approach a flock of geese or ducks and let them have it with the 2 or 4 guage shotgun at ralatively close range. As you can imagine, entire flights of birds were killed in one shot! This has been illegal for many many years but is still practiced under license by re-enactors in the lowland areas of Belgium and Holland.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KYDSTER, They were used in the Sacramento delta to feed the 49er gold miners too. A good hunter would pole up on a raft of birds, and judge the distance for how high the birds would be when the shot got out to them. Some had 3 guns fanned out on the bow, and the recoil would push the dugout backwards. A friend of mine has some old sepia pics of the hunters in action.

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

Interesting ... 7 ft. 4 inches long, mounted on (or in) a fortress wall ... boy I would have hated to be the fella that was responsible for reloading it[:D]

Strange guns often times breed strange tails, and maybe long guns beget long (tall) tales.

Certainly could be a "punt" gun.

I know that there were short (proper term escapes me) blunderbus style weapons that were mounted on ships as well as fortifications for short range work. Maybe this old boomer was someones idea of a long range "scatter gun".

If someone told your father that only 6 were made then there must be come recoreded record of this type gun. This is further supported by your stating that a museum contacted your dad about exhibiting it because there were only 2 known examples left.

Guess a question here would be how the museum learned about your dad having the piece. If he did not contact them then it is likely that the person that originally told him that only 6 were made informed the museum.

So, if it were me I'd start my search close to home and work outward.

Get some quality pictures of the piece, digital images would be best. And make sure that you have good closeups of the lock work and any other unique detail or markings. Then simply start contacting museums in your area asking for their help in identifying the piece and that you may be willing to put it out on "loan" for an exhibit.

Lastly, you may want to consider leapfrogging a little and contacting the museum at West Point ... they have considerable expertise in antique arms.

However, without good pictures/digital images don't be suprised if you get little to no response.

And of course if/when you get digital images posting them here would be nice ... Capt. Kirk (our moderator and general keeper of the zoo) has extensive knowledge/resoruces in BP arms, as well as other members. IF you don't have the ability to post pix here, use the email icon at the top of this reply to contact me. I will send you my direct email address, and you can send the images to me as standard email attachments. I will then post them here for you.

2470103-S.gif

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    electrotech99electrotech99 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank-you all for your responses. For anyone interested in some digital pics, I have taken and can send as an attachment to an e-mail. I an certainly no expert but after looking futher this weekend it diffently could be older than orginally stated. Again thank-you all!!!
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Those short ones and even some longer ones that were mounted on ships, boats, and yes fortress walls were called swivel guns. Lewis & Clark had 2 with them on their trek across the Purchase in 1804-5.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown