In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ar-15 ammo

gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
A Colt ar-15 sp-1 followed me home today along with over 500 rounds of Russian ammunition. Is there anything to be concerned about with shooting the Russian ammo? And is there a websight someone could reccomend that shows how to disassemble these for cleaning? Thanks alot, Ed

Ed Konopasek

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi there my wife just bought me a new preban AR6520 Colt AR-15 carbine.
    I have two questions, first the lower receiver at the mag well is marked .223 but on the top of the barrelnear the flash hider it says C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7.
    Does this mean the rifle fires both .223and 5.56?

Second what does the C MP stand for? I understand the 1/7 part.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    yachtdaveyachtdave Member Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Russian ammo is fine to shoot, it will gobble it up. To take it down for cleaning just pop the rear pin on the receiver and you will able to tilt forward the top end and remove the bolt have a straight shot to the barrel. Ar-15.com can give you more info

Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Yacht Dave!!!
    Ed

Ed Konopasek
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many people, myself included, dont shoot russian ammo in their AR's because it has steel cases. Brass cased ammo will probably be easier on your AR.

I know Russian ammo is very cheap, but some good buys can be had on brass cased fodder also.

The military prints a little booklet on the M-16 rifle that shows how to field strip it for cleaning. You can find these at any gun show. Try www.ar15.com for info on the gun.

Joe
    "Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    wm69wm69 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is about like the "Chevy vs Ford" arguement. Lots of people shoot the steel stuff with no problems, and lots of people have lots of problems shooting it. I've seen it work fine in 2 out of 5 AR's (in the other 3 the steel hulls like to hang up in the chamber and require a cleaning rod to drive them out). If you go to www.ar15.com you'll see a lot of info in the ammunition section. If it works in your gun, shoot it, if you try it and it doesn't work well, shoot something else.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the big thing with steel case ammo bein shot is a wear issue, brass being softer will do less wear on the chamber where steel against the chamber will wear more, if ya shoot alot it could be a issue, if it is a occasional shooter i dont think you will see the wear as obvious in your liftime.
  • Options
    juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason the russian ammo can get hung up is because it has a laquer coating on it. when the gun gets heated up, the laquer starts to come off the cases and creates a build-up

Teach them young ! Teach them often !
    God bless America!
  • Options
    wm69wm69 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    True, but the new wolf is polymer coated (not laquer) that supposed to keep the sticking from happening and I've still seen the new stuff stick in chambers (but it does seem to be better than the old stuff). Only way to find out whether it works or not in your gun is to try it. If it does work in your gun you save enough on ammo to replace any parts that "might" wear out quicker from the steel. In fact, wolf is still 1/2 of the price of any other good ammo out there now, so figure you get through 7-8K of ammo you've saved enough to get a whole new AR. I wouldn't use wolf for shooting anything but cans though, you don't want it to jam up if you're hunting or defending yourself.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wm69
    True, but the new wolf is polymer coated (not laquer) that supposed to keep the sticking from happening and I've still seen the new stuff stick in chambers (but it does seem to be better than the old stuff). Only way to find out whether it works or not in your gun is to try it. If it does work in your gun you save enough on ammo to replace any parts that "might" wear out quicker from the steel. In fact, wolf is still 1/2 of the price of any other good ammo out there now, so figure you get through 7-8K of ammo you've saved enough to get a whole new AR. I wouldn't use wolf for shooting anything but cans though, you don't want it to jam up if you're hunting or defending yourself.

You have a nice gun. Take it from someone who knows. WOLF sucks laquer or not.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    One problem with steel ammo is that many indoor ranges will not allow it - it's too hard on the backstop traps.

Just my 2? worth!

Scott
  • Options
    MeanieMeanie Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the projectile does not have a steel insert, its steel cased with a laquer coating. When they say steel, they are refering to the casing.
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The russian ammo is ok, but dont expect 1/4inch groups. Especially the wolf. I personally could never get better than 1 inch groups with the stuff. I use the russian ammo to get me on the paper, and then I use the good stuff for final sighting in. Use a FMBT like the PMP
    that stuff is accurate. IT will hang with the best..PMP shoots like match ammo..