In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What the Heck are "Speed Strips"?

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
Worked the armored transportion job for many years. Back when we had revolvers, most of us (me to) carried speed loaders. But a few guys carried speed strips. Small, straight Platic strips that held 6 rounds in a straight line.

I was always to embarressed to ask exactly how those worked, since it seemed everyone else already knew. And I didn't want to buy any to find out since I was very happy and very good with my speed loaders.

But now I am still wondering. Anybody know?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The idea behind speed strips was they were easy to carry in a pocket etc as they were flat when compared to round "loaders".

When loading the cylinder you would start 2 rounds in their holes at a time then "strip" them from the rubber loader, then the next 2 and so on until fully loaded.

Joe
    "Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    These were very popular with the old time cops way back when I first got into the gun business, back when the wheelgun was still king. The most popular was probably the old Bianchi Speed Strip which retailed in the late 1970's for around $2.95. The advantage to the strip is that they were totally flat, meaning an extra strip or two could fit easily onto a shirt pocket as opposed to the typical round "button-drop" speed loader which needed special belt pouches and were generally model specific for various firearms (a S&W Model 19 loader won't work in a Colt Python, even though teh calibers are identical).

With the cylidner open you simply place the cartridge in the cylinder (or even two rounds if the spacing on the cylinder is just right) and strip them away, you continue to roate the cylinder and repeat the process until the revolver is loaded. Another advantage the stips had over the round "speed loaders" is that using the strips you could drop in anywhere from one round to six but the "speed loader" meant it was a full load of 6 (or 5 in five shot revolvers) or nothing. With the speed strips you could quickly top off with a round or two, always leaving you with a full cylinder. With the speed loader you either had to run the weapon dry and reload or eject any remaining live rounds in order to drop in a full load. That single live round you "tossed away" in exchange for a full cylinder may end up being the round that would have saved your's or your partners life in a life or death situation. I know we have several old time cops on our borad who can doubtless give several good stories about their use of speed strips and I happed to feel that for detectives a small revolver like a Colt Agent of S&W Airweight and a single Speed Strip is still the best choice for deep under cover work.

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used 'em, they work.

Sarcastic humor a specialty

Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the guys at my club uses these for his airweight .38 Smith.

Carries the gun in a pocket holster along with a speed strip with five or six rounds.

Slower to reload, but less bulky than a round speedloader.
  • Options
    CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry one every day at work in my front pocket for my Colt Agent. The Agent is back up to my duty Glock. Always have a reload for your back up.

"One day lad, all this will be yours."
    "What, the curtains?"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everybody for the good info. I kinds though it was something like that.

Now that I know about speed strips, can I get a speed strip for a 9mm Lugar cartridge in case I ever get to CCW with my 5 shot 9mm revolver?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    tlentlen Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting concept. Where can "speed strips" be currently purchased ? I could use one for a Ruger SP101 that doesn't seem to accept a standard HKS speed loader.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I carried these for years back in the wheelgun days. I originally carried two speed strips in dump pouches and later two speed loaders with a strip in my pocket for topping off. Mine were Bianchi, which used the trade name "Speed Strip", but I've seen them homemade out of a strip of heavy plastic. With these you'd just punch a series of holes and push the rounds through.

Your problem is that they're designed to hold the rounds by the rim. I don't believe they'll work with the rimless 9mm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. Seems like I'm always trying to do things that shouldn't be attempted.

• Options
    CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tlen
    Where can "speed strips" be currently purchased ?

www.bluepress.com

"One day lad, all this will be yours."
    "What, the curtains?"