In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

oryx hunt type of bullet?

victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
I sent my application in for a once in a life time hunt for Oryx.I'll be using a 3006, 165 solid boat tail bullet.any advise on other bullets types or weights?

And this has come to pass,not to stay.

Comments

• Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any bullet that is suitable for elk would be suitable for oryx. Something along the lines of the Accubond, Partition, or Fail-Safe would be good choices.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill Costik is all over it, Oryx are somewhat smaller than an Elk and quite a bit bigger than a deer but are relatively tough (like an elk). If you have the opportunity break both shoulders or upper shoulder and spine, lung shots work but on tough animals they can cover lots of ground after a poke through the lungs. Shoulder shot dictates a tough bullet like the Nosler Accubonds in 180 grain I used on a large Bull this year with good results. As Bill mentioned Nosler partitions, Fail Safes, Swift A frame, Barnes X, Trophy Bonded are all good bullets. I prefer the 180 grain for the 30/06 if you look at the energy the 180 beats them all and shoots nearly the same as a 165. But figure out what weight your gun shoots the best and use that with confidence. I would also recommend practice shooting at the distances that you may be expected to shoot while on your hunt. If you think you will take a 300 yard shot you better practice that shot cuz it will open your eyes a little on how careful you have to be at those ranges to hit the broad side of an Oryx.
    Have fun and good luck![8D]
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Now all that has to be done is that I get drawn for a hunt.

And this has come to pass,not to stay.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Too bad that you're only getting one shot at the Oryx herd; I've taken 4 non-typical oryx during the depredation hunts over the last 7 years!
    The hunts around the McGregor Range are the best! Farthest shot our military handlers would let us take was just over 150yds. Just drove out about 5 miles into the yucca & hummocks of creosote to where the offending critters were hanging out, the guide pointed to the beast we were supposed to cull, and BANG!; got him! Trouble is, you only get to take one other with you to help retrieve the animal, and they are HEAVY!
    First time they called me, I used a friends' -06, thinking the 300 would be overkill; next few times, I took the 300. In the -06,I used a 220gr semi spitzer from Nosler loaded pretty hot; when hit; the oryx spun around once, trotted about 30 feet, and keeled over dead.
    Next hunt, I used the 300WM and a Barnes 180grX-bullet with devastating results-he dropped to the ground immediately.
    I'm pretty sure they still charge (you the taxpayer) $100 "range use fee" to be able to hunt on WSMR (a taxpayer-funded military area); be sure to leave any booze or anything else at home due to the thorough nature of the vehicle search conducted on your check-in.
    Ya never know; you might get a nice one with a 180 from an -o6, or you might poke several holes in him before he goes down.
    They sure are tasty!

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    personally I would recommend the fail safe or barnes.....have had excellent results accuracy wise with both in .300

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!