In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Golden Eagle Rifles

gunluv280gunluv280 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Anybody know anything about Golden Eagle rifles?? Who made them and when. Are they any good?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    made in japan for a defunct company in Texas. good rifles but not worth a whole lot. they were made more for show than go. I had one in .458 and it shot well, I've seen others and they always seem to sell in the $500/600 (+-) range.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunluv280,

This rifle was designed by Robbie Robinson, a former top distributor for Roy Weatherby. He started the design process in 1975 and went to Kanematsu-Gosgo Trading Co. in late 1975 for manufacturing through Nikko and the rifle was released for sale in 1976.

In 1977, Fredkin Enterprises bought the marketing rights from K-G and moved the U.S. operation to Houston. From that point forward until 1980, there was a total of 25,000 rifles sold. Manufacturing ceased when Nikko raised their prices to the point that the Golden Eagle would sell at a price higher than the premium priced Weatherby's.

In 1976 the Nikko Golden Eagle 7000 sold for $349.95 retail.

The interesting design features included the sculpted look to the receiver ala Sauer and a total of 5 locking lugs at the rear of the bolt, arranged in two rows, a clover leaf set of three near the bolt handle and two just forward of that row. The sixth lug was left off to accommodate the bolt stop. Poor accuracy is often attributed to this arrangement to due to bolt flexing and compression. However, one needs only to examine the accuracy of the Remington 788 to see that this can be disproved.
    I think they are fine rifles and only unavailable due to the Japanese manufacturing source.

Best.

rifleman.gif

jptatum,

This is the second comment where you have questioned a statement that I've made in a post. I don't care that you question something, at all, but what you questioned is not what I stated. Please read my post again, especially the part about accuracy. If it's still not clear, please let me know and I'll re-state it. I've highlighted the sentence.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one that is chambered for 30-06 and I really like it. This is the first I have ever heard about accuracy problems. If you can buy one for less than about $600, I would say it is a good buy. I bought mine for about $550. think.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one in 300 Weatherby Magnum.It shot really well but kicked the daylights out of whoever was shootin' it.That's why I passed it on.just my .02
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense misinterpretted my comments. I did not say, or imply, that he said these rifles are inaccurate. If they are inaccurate, I am sure that it has nothing to do with the construction of the bolt has he pointed out. If one of my rifles seems to suffer from inaccuracy, the fault is usually mine. Naturally I don't advertise this.

J. Patrick Tatum