In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Marlin .22LR for squirrel and rabbit

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to get a Marlin .22LR rifle for squirrel and rabbit hunting. Which model would be more accurate, reliable and better between the Marlin 980V bolt action and the Marlin 7000 semi-auto with clip feed?

A. Golden
S&W .357 mag
S&W SW99 9mm
Desert Eagle .50AE
Springfield 1911 .45ACP
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Remington 11-87
Winchester 1892 44-40
Always looking for more!

Comments

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin rifles are more accurate than the average shooter.

Generally speaking bolt actions are more accurate that semi-autos, but I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference in accuracy between the two. Bolt actions are more reliable in principle, but again, for your purpose I don't think there's a lot of difference.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Check out what I've got on the block!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to look at the Marlin 39A. Great gun, oldest gun still in production, good looks and very accurate. I have 6 Marlins and this is my favorate. Decisions, Decisions,Decisions!!!!!!!

"Ask not what your country can do for you" JFK
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    39A.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the 980V..Much cheaper than a 39A. My $00.02 worth[:)]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Marlin 7000 with factory bull barrel, no sights. This gun blows away my former 10/22 Ruger. As much as I like my Rugers, I sold the 10/22 after buying the 7000. I did like the flush rotary magazine on the ruger better than the protruding Marlin clip, but with outstanding accuracy, I can live with it. I guess it all boils down to your personal preference between semi or bolt. Either way you can't go wrong with a Marlin.

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must assume that this is your first 22 rifle..From personal experience I must caution you on one very important point..If you purchase a bolt action,you will become a BETTER shot for it..WHY?? Because it allows you to fire ONE SHOT at a time before going through a reloading exercise that allows your target to explode into the underbrush..A lever or pump results in a fast reload but not nearly as fast as an simi-auto.What most new shooters do with autos is get a mindset that,"it doesn't matter if I miss,cause there are lots of ammo as fast as I can pull the trigger"..So,, chances are you WILL miss..With a bolt you WILL become a better shot..Proven time and time again..I was a cracker jack shot at age seven till age twelve,at which time I bought a simi-auto and fell into that mindset..Took years to straighten out and learn the RIGHT way. SOOoo do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy a simi-auto until you learn to be a good shot..Good luck,modoc

BILL
    KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY.BUT NOT HOT.....single action S&Ws are keepers
  • Options
    hidebuyerhidebuyer Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For hunting squirrels and rabbits you need to use a single shot .22. Then you will be ready for deer season !!![:D]
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Got to go with the Model 60 semi-auto.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Been shooting for years now, but yes, this will be my first .22. I've decided on the Marlin 60 SS, that black and grey wood with stainless barrel just looks sweet. Thanks for all the input.

A. Golden
    S&W .357 mag
    S&W SW99 9mm
    Desert Eagle .50AE
    Springfield 1911 .45ACP
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Remington 11-87
    Winchester 1892 44-40
    Always looking for more!
  • Options
    jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin 925 (22 mag) It absolutely amazes me how accurate that rifle is for how little it costs.
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Aside from night hunting with a headlight, how do you hunt rabbits with a .22 rifle?
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good choice. [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    timbroman...you're kidding, right? YOu've never hunted rabbits with a 22? That was a rite of passage growing up here! You just have to be sneaky. YOu can use dogs and pop them when they get out in front and stop for a second. Or you can stalk hunt them along fence-rows and blow-downs. When snow is on the ground it really works great. Sometimes all you can see at first is the eyes. You ought to try it sometime.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin 39A prefer with the straight grip, no other .22 feels as good and thats a big part of good shooting.any Marlin is a well made accurate firearm.
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    I see. Its just not a real option in south Louisiana, going rabbit hunting with a .22 - but I have shot lots of rabbits with a .22 rifle, a couple even with a .22 pistol, but never more than one or two on an outing - in the context of camping, or happening across one perched on a stump or log while squirrel hunting. One has to be extremely cautious when flat shooting with a .22 rifle.

Actually I've probably killed more rabbits with a slingshot and marbles than I have with a .22. I'm almost 60 and my buds and I were fearsome with slingshots, and cottontail rabbits are probably the easiest game to kill or at least lame until you can get to it and dispatch it.

Good luck with that rifle hunting.