In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

import of rifles

nonothingaboutgunsnonothingaboutguns Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
my husband inherited rifles from his dad in south africa. his mom can no longer keep these and i was wondering if anyone knows the regulations regarding import of such rifles. i think it is a remington.22 and some 303 - probably worth nothing except for the sentiments...

Comments

• Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can call Mike at www.etssusa.com

they will tell you the cost.

it sounds like the guns wouldn't be worth the cost...but your Mom or some helper should Id the exact details, and maybe a photo.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whether or not a gun can be imported depends upon the exact make & model. Whether a gun is > 50 years old, or made before 1898, also makes a difference.

Let me suggest you contact these folks:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/import.php?osCsid=930e92739f149a76338c4359e07f5ad7

The regulations & procedures are too complicated for those of us who are not in the business to comply with.

Neal
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If pre 1898 you can probably just have them mailed right to you.

Otherwise yes, importing- and that can get pricey. But if sentiment is worth it, then it can be done.
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could mother fly in with the rifles for a visit and then give ownership to her son? If so, kill two birds with one stone. Mom gets to see the family and son get dad's guns.