In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tokarev problem

royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
Some time ago I purchased a Romanian Tokarev tt33. It is a fine weapon, accurate and a surprisingly excellent trigger pull. I have encountered a problem with it and I am not sure what to do. When I first got it, it functioned flawlessly, the spare mag however would lock up the gun after the last shot was fired. I had to disassemble the gun to take the mag out. I bought some other Tok mags and they did the same thing. The only one I could trust was the original mag. Well, now the original mag is doing the same thing. I am wondering if maybe the slide stop is worn or something along those lines. Any ideas would be appreciated. Tank you.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears that the magazine(s) followers don't have the correct amount of contact with the slide stop. It's been a long time since I took a Toke magazine apart, I believe it was just made of sheet metal. If this is correct, I would just try disassembling the magazine and bending the follower to obtain better contact with the hold open. Clamp the rear portion in a vise with padded jaws, then very carefully bend the front portion outward to increase contact with the slide stop.

If this doesn't work and you want to shoot the pistol without the expense and bother of obtaining a new slide stop, that might or might not work. File clearance on the front of the followers so that they won't even touch the slide stop. I did this years ago when I had similar problems with a Colt Conversion Units follower that was made out of aluminum. Other then not locking open on the last shot, it has no affect on the pistols function.