In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Questions about my S&W .38 special

jwalker204jwalker204 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a S&W Special 38 CTG on the butt of the gun is the serial number there are no letters. I was looking for the model number and on the yoke I found 16947 over the letter Z. I was trying to find out info on it like approximate age and value. I have had the gun for a long time and maybe looking to sell it

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That may just be the caliber it is chambered for. Need pictures to be sure as I am sure others will tell you.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As noted, pictures would be helpful. Assuming it is a Smith & Wesson it falls in the serial number range of the .38 Military and Police Model 1905 4th change. Made between 1915 and 1942 with serial number range of 241,704 to 1,000,000 according to the Standard Cataglog of S&W 2nd Edition. Model numbers didn't start until the mid '50s. The number on the yoke is probably an assembly number.