In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Combat Masterpiece +P ammo

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
Will a Smith & Wesson Combat Masterpiece handle +P ammo? It is a "pre model 15" type, probably manufactured in the early 60's

Aaron

Comments

• Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do a search on earlier threads you'll find quite a few postings and much detail on your question. Basic answer is, yes, S&W K frames will handle +P loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did look at a few, but perhaps not the right one. Thanks for the reply, and have a great day.

Aaron
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    S&W made .357 magnums on the same [K frame] sized revolvers. Using deductive reasoning, .38spl+p should be ok, as it's less pressure than .357's.

Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Combat Masterpiece I have is chambered in 38 Special, not .357. It was the "prelude" to the Model 15.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would not recommend a steady diet of .357 +P, but for occasional use, shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have to figure out how to edit:
    M. 15, .38 Special obviously. I would stay away from +P except for occasional use.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MOONED
    The Combat Masterpiece I have is chambered in 38 Special, not .357. It was the "prelude" to the Model 15.

I believe the point was that the same frame is used for 357 magnums, therefore 38+P should not be a problem.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Your revolver will handle +P ammo just fine.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    There was a lot of .38 Special ammo that was loaded to what was probably way over +P pressure, starting well before WW2, which went by '38-44' and other names. It was intended for use in N-frames, but a lot of it no doubt found its way into M&P's and various Colts.

A similar subject came up in a gunshop in the '70's, some opinions being that S&W K-frame .38's were not made from the same stuff as the K-frame .357's were. Some of us held that S&W wouldn't order different types of round stock for their cylinders, or different grades of steel for their frame forgings, and thereby complicate their inventory, just to save a few bucks per ton on differing steel grades. Others held that S&W made their .38 frames and cylinders from materials that were inferior to materials used in the .357's.

The shop's owner then pulled a new M10 2" from the display case and told me to take it in the back and finish-ream the chambers to accept .357's. I did. Then I loaded it with factory .357's, and fired six rounds DA into the bullet trap. I opened the cylinder, tilted the muzzle up, and the empties fell out by themselves. I repeated this twice.

It was obvious that a K-frame .38 would handle +P .38's, if it could handle factory .357's, which it did. There was one needed mod, one which S&W provides on K-frame .357's, and that was changing the hand to one which incorporates a second stud which keeps the hand better engaged with the cylinder ratchet when under fierce recoil.

This may not settle the issue in the minds of everyone, but the safety factor in any S&W is off the scale, and only a completely crazed handloader can overcome it.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good anecdote from Machine gun Moran, thanks.

This topic comes up again and again, and I'll add a few more points:

.38 +P ammo was around for YEARS before ANY gun was labelled "+P". It was specifically designed for any modern .38 special gun in good working condition. Clearly modern Smith .38 K-frames would qualify.

As related in Moran's story, I've been told that there is no metallurgic difference whatever between the earlier guns, and the later +P rated ones. The only difference is the different engraving on the barrel.

In terms of actual operating pressures, .38+P ammo is actually NOT much more powerful than ordinary .38s.

Ordinary .38 specials operate at a SAAMI maximum pressure of 17,000 PSI. .38 +P operates at a maximum pressure of 18,500 PSI, only 10% more. Guns are supposed to survive "proof" testing with 30% overpressure rounds for safety.

Meanwhile .357 magnum ammo operates at 35,000 PSI, literally double the pressure (and we've already said that essentially the same guns handle 357 fine).

Bottom line for me is that personally, I feel perfectly comfortable putting unlimited amounts of .38+P ammo through ANY modern Smith wheelgun.