In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Adams shotgun.. Pictures up!

cook2535cook2535 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an old shotgun that I've speant hours trying to find out information on.

I'll start by saying all the stampings on it, and where they are. On the top of the barrels, right in between them, it says ADAMS PATENT SMALL ARMS Co. 391 STRAND LONDON W.C....

On the right and left side above the trigger, amongst the engravings, it says W. Watts, Locke & Co. Proprietors.

When I take the barrels off, right on the bottom where it hooks back on reads G&P Patent No.1482.

I could find little to no information on these stampings. I know nothing of the age of this gun,or its worth, if any. Its all original, and all the metal on the gun is beautifully engraved.

Thanks for any help, or feedback!

Joe

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my reference your shotgun was made in England, during the early 1880's, mid 1890's time frame. Watts & Locke were the owners of the company.

Quality photos are needed for any other information, or valuation help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will do.I will get some pictures of it up tomorrow. Thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Nice looking unusual side lock shot gun in need of some TLC but not a complete basket case. needs to be professionally cleaned NOT reblued. It needs a butt plate of course and as they look like Damascus barrels if you want to shoot it it should IMHO have the barrels sleeved. If you want as a quality wall hanger then install period butt pad/plate. and only clean with kroil and burlap cloth on metal and murphy's oil soap on the wood.
  • Options
    mechman460mechman460 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice, very nice!

Adams Patent Small Arms Company London, England 1864-92. Manufacturer of John Adams designed firearms
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, yes It does need a serious clean! I am have a very hard time finding information on the shotguns Adams made. I think I might have to buy and old book, because finding information on the internet is difficult.