In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mauser action

9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Im looking to build my first custom bench rifle with a large ring mauser action. I found them available in a flyer from Centerfiresystems for $150 in .308. Im confused about the choices they give. Does it matter if i choose the "belgian" action with the crest or should i stay with the Russian? thanks

Comments

• 9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a mauser action with what looks like a spanish or argentine crest on the receiver ring.
    It is barrelled and stamped 7.92 and is in exellent shape visibly.
    the barrel has been shortened and a sporter sight installed.
    I am considering removing the barrel and using this action to build
    a Knock-around .35 Whelen with iron sights.
    I don't know much about mausers.
    Is this action suitable for my plan without getting into major metal
    work like heat treatment, etc.?
    Thanks for any advise

[I know a military-to-sporter rifle will cost as much or more than a
    good factory rifle, but I'm looking for a fun winter project.]
    edited November -1
    I have a Mauser action that I thought was a standard 98 made by
    Waffenfabrik Mauser-Oberndorf a/n. Mauser Mod. 1910. When I removed the barrel it has the small ring diameter threads. After taking measurements it is approximately 1/4 inch shorter than a standard 98.
    The floorplate screw holes are the same. The chamber end of the barrel has an extractor groove rather than a flat face like the standard Mauser. Can anyone tell me what I have?

James Ellington
    ellington@sisna.com
  • ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did the same thing years ago. There are no major problems to this project. Go for it.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big difference between certain Spanish 98 type actions and Argentine actions specifically the 1909 Arg. Just as information: The 8mm properly loaded is not too bad. Your present barrel might shoot as good as the replacement. The purpose you stated might be served as well with the 8mm handloaded as the 35 Whelen unless you expect to encounter large bears.
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The type of rifle you describe can be either the M98 strong large ring action or the often weaker small ring type. These are not very good lables but will work. The big difference, amongst several, between the two types is if the bolt/action are configured for two locking lugs or for three. The two easiest to find are at the front of the bolt where it locks into the front reciever ring. The third lug is located towards the bolt's rear 90 degrees off from the bolt handle. If the bolt/action are configured for the three lugs then it is a M98 and in all probability it is appropriate for the 35 whelen project you have described. But. unless you have the skills and tools needed to remove, install and correctly chamber a new barrel you will need to get a gunsmith involved. At which point you would be well advised to get the action looked over just in case. Good luck and have fun...
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9 on the floor,

These actons are great to rebarrel to a caliber which you like. If you plan on doing this in a .35 Whelen, I would double check to make sure it's a '98 or later. Not that I want to disagree with ern98, there are small ring and large ring '98's. The difference between small ring and large ring is the diameter of the forward ring. The difference between pre and post '98's is the third lug. This lug doesn't touch anything it just keeps the bolt in the action and not flying back to kill you if you have the action blow up on you for one reason or another.

I have many M98 actioned rifles. Some completed some not. I personally love the M98 action.

Also, the caliber you state your rifle is in is not original if it's 7.92. The Spanish Mausers ('92, '93,'95) all came in 7mm Mauser. And the Argentinian Mausers (1891, 1909) came in 7.65x53. So, it's either something else or already been rebarreled once.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the information guys.

Sorry I took so long to respond, I've been on a job.

The action is large ring. [I looked that dimension up and put the dial caliper to it.] And she has three lugs.

Looks like I should be OK to procede with my project.

I will be back here if I get in over my head or need more info.

Thanks again. 9 otf out.