In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TC Contender Flatside - 1979 NRA intended?

yukon100jackyukon100jack Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone help me with info on a flatside Contender I just bought online? I have not received it yet. Serial number is 1337XX which translated to a 1979 manufacture date. I did some research and could only find that TC tied to make a NRA commemorative flatside in 1979 but did not make the NRA cutoff date. A 44 Mag vented rib barrel says "44 MAG" in gold letters on the side. I am guessing it was intended for the NRA commemorative edition but not completed. I think it would have had more engraving done but it was skipped and put into production as it was at the time the cutoff date.

I can send a pic from the listing if someone gives me an email.

Thanks!
Chad

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am guessing that not all Contenders made in 1979 were made to be an NRA commerative. Also, if it was an NRA commerative, the frame would be dressed more, and it would not have a vent rib 44 Magnum barrel. That barrel is/was designed to be used with regular 44 magnum ammunition with the special choke removed, and to be used with the hotshot ammunition with the choke in. The Hot Shot barrels were made in both vent rib, and with standard sights. It is very important that the choke is removed when shooting regular ammunition, other than shot, as it will destroy the barrel on the first shot. I have not seen, even on some of its fancier production guns, Thompson Center ever, gold load a barrel inscription. It has to be after market.

If you are going to be looking for some of that HOT SHOT ammunition for collectors sake, it is very expensive, especially in whole boxes of 20 rounds. I do know where a few boxes are located, and can point you in that direction.
  • Options
    yukon100jackyukon100jack Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up the Contender today and it is strange. There are no TC markings anywhere, not even on the front of the frame. The barrel only says "44 MAG" on the side. No TC markings on it either. The muzzle was made for a choke but the there are no threads inside as if it had never been tapped. It looks like a frame and barrel that were. Not fully completed. If someone can give me their email I will send a few pics. Thx.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a lunch box special or perhaps left over parts sold as scrap. I'd be serial # it if it were mine.

added the 44 Hot Shot I had an internal screw in "choke", a rib with a fold down rear sight blade. It was how I learned to shoot things out of the air with a pistol.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yukon100jack
    I picked up the Contender today and it is strange. There are no TC markings anywhere, not even on the front of the frame. The barrel only says "44 MAG" on the side. No TC markings on it either. The muzzle was made for a choke but the there are no threads inside as if it had never been tapped. It looks like a frame and barrel that were. Not fully completed. If someone can give me their email I will send a few pics. Thx.

The Hot Shot barrel's had external threads for the choke.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would a 44 mag barrel have a choke?