In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 17 VS bolt handle

RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
Hello folks,
I just returned from Wyoming where the bolt handle on my Marlin 17 VS broke off. Bummer. I really like this rifle especially since I installed an adjustable trigger and sear. The gun has not been dropped, knocked over or abused. It is accurate and a blast to shoot. My only comment would be it occasionally does not eject spent shells well no matter the make of cartridge. When I have ejection issues, forcefully pulling back on the bolt seems to help. That may contribute to my problem? I called Marlin for a RMA since it is a part Marlin wants to install. I did a preliminary search and did not find any complaints about the bolt handle breaking on this model.

Has anyone had this sort of problem with a Marlin bolt action rim fire? I think I could probably have it fixed by brazing the handle to the bolt but I don't know how heating the bolt would work out.

EDIT: The bolt has never seen a hammer or been abused in any way. I concede that when the shell doesn't eject I pull the bolt back harder than normal the second time and it seems to eject the shell most of the time. That's it.

I just found out that Marlin is directing me to send my 17VS to Sports World in Tulsa Oklahoma for repair. They apparently do not have a on site repair service for this type of problem. I'm a little worried about this development. Maybe a local gunsmith is a better option?

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bolt handles shouldn't break off unless you abuse them with a hammer.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen lots of broken bolts in 40 years. It happens. Cheaper stuff or poor designs it happens more often.

Be sure and complain about the extraction/ejection issue so they can address that too. Provide them with as much detail as you can, maybe even some spent cases that caused you trouble.

added. So are they fixing it for free? You might inquire locally and get a price to fix it.

added I think high temp silver solder is way stronger than brass, proper flux is critical. Butt joint with enough surface area will hold. The B-17 had 200 ounces of silver solder - they didn't call it the Flying Fortress for nothing.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, I found out that Marlin uses a silver solder technique to attach their bolt handles to the bolt tube. It is simply a butt solder done robotically. IMHO it is not a very good or durable way to attach the bolt handle. We reattached the bolt handle using an acetylene torch with a 0 tip and a fluxed 3/32 brass rod. I scrapped some flux from one end of the rod and put on the hole before inserting the handle in the hole. We heated the handle and bolt cylinder until it was a dull red and applied the other end of the fluxed rod. You could see the wicking of the brass rod filling the space between each piece. I little filing and work with a stainless steel brush and the result looks like a good repair.