In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

R 1100 28 gauge big issue

jplooksterjplookster Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
I bought a beautiful 28 gauge rem 1100 as "new" here. First time I used it it felt great and.... intermittently I loved it for shooting dove. But it will lock back even when shells are left in the magazine. I've sent it back to remington 1 time to their service company in Tulsa Ok where they restaked the shell feed arm in. They sent it back to me and it failed on the second round. Then I sent it to Remington in NY they restaked a thin plate in the top of the receiver charged me for such and for testing and new gas ring. It failed on the second shot. I sent it back to Remington in NY they replaced the entire trigger group, tested it and then sent it back to themselves for re repair and then sent it to me, it failed on the second shot. I now have it with a local gunsmith with 40 years experience and he cant make it run
Now what? need help they're about a 1K bill

Comments

• Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    Stronger magazine spring. Its not shoving the shell out with enough oomph when it hits the carrier release..
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would make a video of it failing to function properly with your ammo. I would make copies of your 2 repair attempts paperwork and billing and then send copies of it all to the company president and the last repair contact person and ask for help. A single shot semi auto isn't much fun for a pass shooting dove gun.

My last season when I was 13, I could limit out on a box shells with an H&R 12 single shot Topper. I could score doubles but never got a triple. Hand was to small to hold 2 rounds and manipulate them effectively.

You could try shimming the magazine spring to see if that is the issue.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What brand/type of ammo are you using? I'm fairly certain Remington warranty/service is testing with Remington factory ammo. It's also a pretty good bet that after that many repair attempts, the gun DID work as it should at some point.
    It's been several decades since I tinkered with an 1100(and never even held a 28ga) but the culprit would seem to be whatever widget engages the bolt lock.
  • Options
    jplooksterjplookster Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive used Rio 1 oz, Fiocchi 3/4 oz and 7/8. Winchester XX 1 oz. Remington 3/4.

It doesn't seem to mater what load I use. Still fails to release second shell. But its intermittent. It may do fine for 3 or 4 shots then it fails. But then it might fail 2 or 3 in a row. They need to fire 10 or 12 to really test it and I suspect that's what they have not done when testing it.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the magazine spring is not providing consistent(and adequate) force to the ammo in the tube, the shells can move forward during recoil and not get past the shell stop. This would not seem to be a factor in a 28 ga but just grabbing ideas here.