In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bolt action shotgun scope mount

badwrenchbadwrench Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have an old Monkey Wards bolt action shotgun project and I am thinking of installing a scope. I am looking for a side mount for a round receiver, I am pretty sure a standard top mount will not work due to the receiver opening/bolt slot. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Side mounts have gone out of favor. If your able to find one that can be used. Likely to cost more than the shotgun is worth. Installation on the thin walled shotgun receiver, requires a very skilled gunsmith that can tap ultra fine threads. Without screwing anything up.

Might consider a long eye relief scope, or red dot, that mounts on the barrel forward of the receiver.

Call up the customer service folks at Brownells on Monday, They have a extensive inventory of mounts, scopes etc.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you could make/adapt one easy enough. 1/4" is more than enough meat to tap into.

You might look into "maker" places.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Havlin Sales carries s side mount for scopes for Mossberg 22s- like the 44 US. Not cheap, but I have 2 of them and they do very well. Odds are your Monkey Wards shootsgun was actually a Mossy. Give Vic Havlin a call and ask. He and his wife Cheryl are my go-to folks on anything Mossberg, and are very nice people to deal with.

EDIT to correct spelling- that is Victor HAVLIN - havlinsales.com
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Havlin Sales carries s side mount for scopes for Mossberg 22s- like the 44 US. Not cheap, but I have 2 of them and they do very well. Odds are your Monkey Wards shootsgun was actually a Mossy. Give Vic Hamlin a call and ask. He and his wife Cheryl are my go-to folks on anything Mossberg, and are very nice people to deal with.

+1
    Also,a #8 or 8a weaver side mount base may work. I put one on a very messed with Arisaka years ago.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The biggest problem I could see would be matching the radius of the inside curve of the mount to the outside curve of the receiver.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just discovered a Tasco side mount base for a round receiver - No. 882. It does require a specific scope ring to fit it.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    with the price so low on a mossberg 500 slug gun, that has a scope mount
    attached to a rifled barrel, you can not hope to complete at price
    or performance of that outfit. during recoil shot gun barrels move about in the
    receiver and change point of impact. a scope mount to the barrel is a proven technique.
    a fully rifled barrel can take advantage of many specifically designed
    slugs.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done it several times years back, side mount is the way to go, they actually shoot pretty good up to 100 yards plus depending on the rifled slugs used, what is your model number ?
    just because you could doesn't mean you should