In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Charter Arms 38 Question

erikpolcrackerikpolcrack Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have two 'older' 5-shot Charter Arms 38 Specials with 1-7/8 inch barrels and round butt grips. One is marked Undercover(SN 3340XX)and is nickel plated. The other is marked Off Duty(SN 8807XX)and is blued. Other than the finish and the model markings on the barrel shroud, I can find no differences in the guns. My scale tells me they both weigh 16 ounces. What bothers me is I have read several places that the Off Duty is supposed to be a light-weight version of the Undercover, supposedly weighing only 12 ounces. Can anybody help me out here? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the frame of the Off Duty with a magnet. The Off Duty was supposed to be an aluminum framed handgun, with a steel cylinder and barrel. Weight for THAT gun was listed as 12 ounces. If you have one with a steel frame, it will be heavier.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charter arms has been through various incarnations over the years. The original company, became "Charco", then "Charter 2000", now the current incarnation.

While the current "off duty" model is a 12 ounce aluminum frame gun, the original ones were blued steel. Since you say your guns are "older" there is your explanation.

If your gun doesn't have an ejector rod shroud, its an earlier model.

Edit: Original Off Duty:
    hckjw7x

Edit #2: This is a nice reference article on Charter Arms. Per this reference, the "Off Duty" was introduced in 1984 and was otherwise identical to the "Undercover" except for a poorer finish.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/CAR/car.html
  • Options
    erikpolcrackerikpolcrack Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks,guys! - Erik