In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NEW SCOPE continued?

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
I'm a Leupold guy and went against the grain and bought a

BUSHNELL elite 4200. Don't like Bushnell but could not pass on this one.

I have a Rainguard type 4200 and couple of the old Baush and Lombs.
The Rainguard actually works as stated.

Just don't like Bushnell CS jerks, next thing to dealing with Microsoft support techs. Ask them a question and you are transferred to Pakistan or Romania and they can't speak English or Redneck lingo, then call drops and back to call and prompts again. End up feeling like a dog chasing it's tail and whipping on a dead horse.

Comments

• Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm the person who liked the Bushnell Elites because one day I bought an Alpha Arms Grand Slam rifle and it had a scope on it I had never heard of - a Bausch Lomb 3000. I found it to be a very good scope but it was long out of manufacture. So I looked for something equivalent and found the Bushnell 3200 Elite. No problems so far with my Elites.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have read complaints about Bushnell customer service so feel compelled to mention my one experience. Maybe 5 years ago or so I had an old Bushnell scope on a 10/22 that failed, the cross hairs rotated in the scope so they were no longer correctly oriented. Since the scope had been zeroed, where the crosshairs met was not centered in the scope. Scope failed and was useless. I had bought it new but had no idea how old it was.

As I recall I printed a form off their website, filled out the form and sent the scope and form to the address of the form. As I recall 10 days or 2 weeks later I received a brand new scope in the mail, no cost. My only cost was shipping one way.

My one experience with Bushnell customer service sold me. In this case they stood behind a fairly low cost scope 100% and I was impressed.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever tried a redfield?
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10/22s seem to bring out the failure in most low end scopes. I have had negative results with tasco,bushnell and simons on these rifles. Now have a leupold vari x III. and redfield. No problems.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been disappointed in low-end scopes to many times and now only buy Leupolds ...
    ... I've found that with Leupold, even their low-end scopes its money better spent.

That being said, a year or two ago I wanted a low power scope "now" for a new rifle and stopped at Academy and bought a Bushnell 1-4x24 and could not get it to zero. I gave up and next trip to the range I put it on another rifle and when trying to zero it noticed the adjustable eyepiece had all kinds of movement. I called CS at Bushnell to see about getting it warrantied and was told they wouldn't be getting any more of that scope in for 2+ months ... I asked about upgrading it and paying the difference to a AR223 4-18x40 and was told there was about a $30 difference in price but they were out of stock on that scope too but they were expecting an order of those in about 7-10 days and he would call me.

2 weeks later a brand new AR223 4-18x40 is at my door ... no extra charge and so far no issues with that scope.

No complaints here, however I'm still not buying anything but Leupold.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got 5 Bushnells mounted on varies guns right now 3 of them are elite series scopes 2 4200's and 1 3200. I have a trophy 3x9x40 model and a banner 3x9x40 on 2 H&R 20ga Ultra Slug guns. Both of these scopes have been mounted about 15 years. The guns are shot and hunted with every year and we have never had to adjust zero. I have been surprised, but at the time that was the money I had so that's what I got.

By BIL and I took a trip to Canada one year on a bear hunt. It was cool and rained every day, sometimes all day. He had a slug gun with a 3200 elite on it, I had a Savage 110 30-06 with a Burris on it. No matter the condition, cool, foggy, rain you could see to shoot through his scope, you could breath on it and still see to shoot through it. Mine on the other hand had to be wiped off to see through most of the time. Sold me. I kill game with my guns so not having one fog up is important to me.

Sure I could treat any scope and keep it usable as long as the treatment last, with the elite series that's not needed, and that matters. On that hunt I forgot to treat my scope and forgot to bring anything with me. What's a hunting scope for. There are better optics, but I am not set up to shoot further than mine are good for. If I get a 1000 yard gun I'll get a 1000 yard scope. Until then, these work fine.

The one time I used Bushnell customer service it was to replace a lost turret cap. I called and they mailed me one C.O.D. (edit: actually it wasn't C.O.D., there was a bill enclosed which I mailed back with payment), I think it was 3 or 4 dollars, fair enough, I lost the cap they didn't.

Lot's of good scopes out there, it depends on what you are doing.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't let name brands fool you...not all scopes within the brand are made to the same standards. Everyone makes something to compete with something of somebody else's. The Bushnell Tactical Elite is a HIGH END scope made to compete with NightForce, US Optics, Schmidt and Bender and Leupold MK4's. There are several other high end ones out there, like Vortex, Swarovski, Zeiss, and many others. The Vortex Viper PST is comparable to the Leupold MK 4, and the Bushnell Tactical Elite is a step above the Leupold MK 4.

Search for options that fit your budget, then buy the best you can afford.