In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage Model 23B 25-20 Question

gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
Can a bolt for a Savage Model 23B 25-20 also be used in a Savage model 23C rifle chambered for 32-20?
Both cartridges have the same head diameter of .408
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I say yes but never tried it
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It should but that doesn't mean it will headspace correctly. You might compare/look at the part numbers on the gun parts website.
  • Options
    gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On second look the rim thickness is also the same on both cartridges.

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of each and they both interchange. But I do not believe the head space would be correct if I mixed them up.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    I have one of each and they both interchange. But I do not believe the head space would be correct if I mixed them up.

Rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim. I believe all the 25-20, is a necked down 32-20. If so? Not likely to be a headspace problem.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just FYI with the 23s and the sporters I have noticed is the new R-P brass rim thickness is greater than WW brass.
    I have R-P that I can't completely close the bolt or have extreme difficulty closing the bolt. This was in two different rifles.

No problem with WW brass.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. It's marginally thicker as far as outside diameter.

It also holds less grains of powder overall.

The decade plus of cowboy action shooting popularity and new modern production of handguns and carbines have led the manufactures to attempt to engineer a "safer" case.

And much of it gets reloaded or handload or small batch specialty manufacture.

Starline seems to be the closest to the COW specs.

I have thought this somewhat over cautious based on its modern usage.

They used to a standard round for universal use and a HV or high velocity round loaded for carbines and rifles only.

I think the only noticeable external visual difference was the headstamp markings.

Mike
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, you have never seen a rimmed cartridge that had head space problems????quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

Rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim. I believe all the 25-20, is a necked down 32-20. If so? Not likely to be a headspace problem.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, you have never seen a rimmed cartridge that had head space problems????

I've never had any headspace problems, with rimmed cartridges. Most that I shoot now are rimfire. I have heard that if their is excessive headspace, due to a thin rim and oversize rim to chamber dimensions. That their could be case failure. But don't recall it ever happening in my presence.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just because you could doesn't mean you should