In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 1100

duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
I recently took my Remington 1100 down for a thourgh cleaning. Which I have done many times in the past. After I put it back together it will not fire. I have taken it down and put it back together again and again to no avail. I tried replacing my trigger housing with another gun. The results the other gun still fires and mine does not. I've checked the firing pin. It is unbroken and looks damaged free. When you go to shoot it. It does not even leave a mark on the cap. So the firing pin is not making contact. I've tried to stick my knife next to the firing pin. That was a stupid move, broke my knife point. So the hammer is striking the firing pin. Or real close to it as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have had a Remington 1100, 12ga, 2 3/4 shotgun for some time that has maybe had 20 shells shot thru it. It has a 28" improved cylynder barrell. It costs about $290 15 or so years ago. Anybody know about it would be worth now?

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello everyone. I am new here and glad to be here. I am looking for information regarding a paticular butt stock and forearm. The one I need to find is called Old La Fluer checkering. I found the exact one online but it has sold. Where and how do I put a want ad on here? Also, I have a J.C. Higgins (marlin) model 45 .35 remington, Does anyone know the year and value?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DOM Remington 1100 SS#56649V 12ga Sticky only refers to Barrel codes. Thank you

Note: Barrel code looks like 5 R K 7
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a remington 1100, 12 ga. 3" magnum, 30" w/full choke I purchased new in early 70's. My nephew want's to buy it from me and use it for duck hunting.
    My question is: What is the steel shot going to pattern like with 30" full choke and also will it hurt the barrel? I also have another barrel for it that is 26" IC choke.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My wife surprised me with a Remington 1100 Competition Model for Christmas. I had no idea I was getting it. My question is, can I get a standard 1100 barrel for the gun if I decide to do some trap shooting or sporting clays shooting with it? I know I would have to replace the tube extension also. Can anyone help me. Bshooter
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ARE THERE ANY VIDEOS ON THE DISASSEMBLE AND REASSEMBLY OF THE REMINGTON 1100 IN RIGHT OR LEFT HANDED MODLES
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you put a barrel which handles 3 inches shells on a 1100 action that was for 2 3/4 shells would it be safe to fire and not damage the gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for a factory replacement recoil pad and a grip cap with the diamond inlay for a Rem. 1100 16ga. Both with the white spacer. Anyone know where I can get these items at?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 1100 i want to sell, i purchased the gun new about 30 years ago and don't know its real age. Is there any way to tell?
    Also, i have heard that some models may be worth more than others, can i tell this through the serial number and if so how?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What does "the gun is 99%" mean?

How much should I expect to pay for a Remington 1100 30"?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 1100, 12 gauge, 28" vent rib modified barrell, 2 3/4", wood stock. It is in good condition. What would be the resale value? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 1100 LT 20 ga. The bolt will not stay open after the last shot. What should I look for?? Thanks. jp
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Back in the 80's I seem to remember seeing an ad in a LE magazine for an "AlleySweeper". It was 2 Remington 1100's built together to make a double barrel. Am I getting senile in my old age, or was such a thing ever built?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a remington 1100 in 12 gauge and the problem is it dont work in semi mode it just fires the first shell and and doesnt eject and load the next round.is there a simple fix to this or should I take it to a gunsmith?Thanks for the time and help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a LT20 remington 1100 that has heavy rust on the recivier.What is the best way to remove the rust and not damage the schroll engraving.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When did remington stop putting the white diamond on the bottom of the stock? Can you tell how old a 1100 is by the letters on the barrel using the word blackpowder?
    Thanks
    Shannon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is this a good, reliable gun? I was thinkin about getting one. It's a 1100 Magnum(I think) with a bird and slug barrel. Thoughts????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there a website that CLEARLY explains (preferably with good pictures), how the gas ring(s) are installed on a 1981 vintage 1100 12 ga 2 3/4" and a 2005 vintage 1100 youth 20 ga 2 3/4". The pictures in the factory literature don't really explain it well enough for mr to understand. I am not a shotgunner. thanks
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Probably a new rubber O ring if nothing in the back is broken or dry.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe bent carrier, latch spring or light loads?
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it cycle the loads from the mag tube OK but just doesn't lock open on the last shot or does it sometimes short cycle and not load the next round?

EDIT #1
    I would agree with P3. If it will lock back manually it is loosing gas. If you try a heavier load does it lock back then? I had an 1100 that would cycle and lock with a heavy load but not with a lighter load. Cleaned the gas holes and replaced the o'ring and the problem went away.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shoots light loads fine. Empty's the mag tube, Just does not lock open after last shot.

New "O" ring did not help.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    Shoots light loads fine. Empty's the mag tube, Just does not lock open after last shot.

New "O" ring did not help.

If the bolt will lock to the rear manually, it's just not getting enough gas pressure to push the bolt back far enough.
    Clean the two gas holes in the barrel ring with a paperclip.
    Check the bushings, it's a gas leak somewhere.

That's why I like pumps and recoil guns. Not delicate.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure to clean out the groove when you replace the O-ring.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an LT-20 that was having cycling issues including not locking open with lighter liads. I noticed the previous owner had installed the metal washer (near the o-ring) upside down. Make sure that one is installed properly when you reassemble, once I did the gun runs fine. ( I used the schematics on Numrich to find the proper direction for this piece)