In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RIKARD SXS 12GA. SHOTGUN

SNIPER762NATOSNIPER762NATO Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have picked up a made in Belgium 12 ga. sxs shotgun. I need to buy parts for it to make it look good. The name RIKARD is stamped on both sides. The serial number is on both frame and the barrels. The number is 304462. Barrel has extra number of 471. Some history of this gun would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    low cost import of the day for a hardware chain
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google finds that Rikard was a brand name used by H. Pieper. Probably a decent gun in its day but finding parts will be a problem.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Belgium made, "hardware store", guns. Ceased being imported, with the German invasion and occupation of Belgium in 1914.

As their parts were hand fitted, rather than being mass produced with standard dimensions. Not likely even if you were able to find annother RIKARD/Pieper, to cannibalize or just the parts. Would they be usable without extensive rework.

Because of the above, I wouldn't be puting any time or money, in trying to fix up the RILARD/Piper. Sell it as is on the auction, and get one in better shape that is complete. That you don't have to screw with.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will likely need to make parts. Could be a good winter project and learning experience for someone.

Heat treatment and metallurgy prior to the 30's is hit or miss IMHO.