In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 30 06 barrel swap to 7mm ?

wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
Experts only please. Is it possible to swap barrels from a Remington BDL 700 30 06 to a 7mm Mag without other changes to rifle?
Thanks!
"What is truth?'

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. The bolt face is different. Good chance the lips in the rails will need altered if you want it to feed correctly.

Added +1 for the 280 Rem. I have a Newton rifle that came with a shot out 256 Newton barrel. I re-barreled it to 30-06 with a new in the cosmolene Springfield. I really want to re-rifle the original barrel to 7mm malking it a 280 perhaps an AI.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie. If its done the Bolt will need changing and possibly the mag rails?
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As has been stated, the bolt face would be different, the bolt rails would need to be altered, and the magazine follower changed.

On the other hand if you went with the 280 AI, you would be real close to the 7mm Rem Mag performance, and would not need to change a thing, except the barrel. There is factory ammo available for it, too!

EDIT 1

quote:quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Considering the number of 7mm mag 700's I've seen around, I can't imagine that the cost of conversion would be lower than just trading.

If I had an older 700 with the real good trigger, I would certainly not want to trade it for something to new, with that piece of junk they call a trigger. As a matter of fact, I purchased a stash of the older triggers, just to be able to provide customers with a nice trigger.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wpageabc,

This is not an an 'either', 'or' situation. The geometry of the cartridges are completely different from each other.

The rails will have to be opened because a 7mm Rem Mag. will not feed up through them as they are. The underside of the rails will need to opened as well. The follower, box and feed ramp should be adjusted also.

These adjustments are not for the amateur because of the necessity for the small increments which need to be used based on how the cartridges feed. It finesse rather than just machining. However, if you've made these conversions a hundred times or so you might enjoy the process [;)].

I believe that the .280 Rem./.280 Rem.AI are valid conversions for your uses. The improvement in the bullet selection is growing and many have been made much better for both penetration and performance in game. Either would make an excellent hunting rifle.

Best.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering the number of 7mm mag 700's I've seen around, I can't imagine that the cost of conversion would be lower than just trading.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mobuck,

It's not but some folks like the idea of modifying as opposed to trading or buying another rifle. They trust their rifle and don't want to take a chance on having to test another which might not meet their standards.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the valuable information. I cam into some free 7mm ammo and was considering the change.

Not so much now.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "It's not but some folks like the idea of modifying as opposed to trading or buying another rifle. They trust their rifle and don't want to take a chance on having to test another which might not meet their standards."

Not to be argumentative BUT considering the type and amount of modifications this swap would involve, it really would be very much like starting over with a different rifle(except the serial number and stock).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mobuck,

I don't think it's argumentative at all. It's a good point since in reality you are starting over as far as the reloading learning curve is concerned with a new (to him) barrel. My thought is that the physical rifle itself is still the same familiar package as the original.

I agree that for the money it's too much but I see a large variety of opinions regarding work folks want done to their rifles.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is the case since I have a nice BDL 700 with a sweet trigger. That this could be a future project mod. Its a great gun as a 30-06. However with some added research might be interesting to see about modifying this to a 7mm.

Bearing in mind the recos after barrel swap...
    Bolt face change
    Lips on rails alter to open
    Magazine follower swap out or modify geometry
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    It is the case since I have a nice BDL 700 with a sweet trigger. That this could be a future project mod. Its a great gun as a 30-06. However with some added research might be interesting to see about modifying this to a 7mm.

Bearing in mind the recos after barrel swap...
    Bolt face change
    Lips on rails alter to open
    Magazine follower swap out or modify geometry

If you do decide to go to the 7mm magnum in this rifle, I know just the guy to send it to, and he as done hundreds of them, and it is second nature to him. He most likely would install a Bartlein barrel, pillars, bed the action, and tune that trigger.