In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 94 Proof Marks

wizbangerwizbanger Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
When did Winchester start adding proof marks to the top of the barrel and receiver on the Model 94? Was there a period when just the receiver was marked?

Comments

• Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i think it was around 1906. eastbank.
  • Options
    wizbangerwizbanger Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was it uncommon for the receiver proof to look deep and crisp and the barrel proof to look faint when everything else about the barrel looks right?
  • Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrel proof marks were started July 17 1905. Recivers were proofed starting July of 08. A proof mark was stamped after the gun was blued so it should stand up at the edges. It could of been stamped light but it should still have a crisp edge.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For all of the center fire Winchester Models, both the barrel and the receiver frame ring were stamped with the superposed "WP" proof mark beginning in July of 1905. The .22 rim fire rifles were not proof marked until 1908.

The stamped marking on the barrel should be nearly identical to the same marking on the frame ring. If the barrel stamp is not crisp, that is an indication that it has been buffed/polished, and refinished. Can you post a clear picture showing the proof marks on your Winchester?
  • Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert,
    I got the date of July 08 from the letter on the WACA site were Proof marks were discussed at least that is how Interpreted the letter. If this is wrong then I need to change my notes.
    Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1873man
    Bert,
    I got the date of July 08 from the letter on the WACA site were Proof marks were discussed at least that is how Interpreted the letter. If this is wrong then I need to change my notes.
    Bob

Bob,

It is incorrect in regards to the center fire models. The 1908 date applies to the .22 rim fire models only. In my research surveys of several different Models (1885, 1894, and 1897), I have not ever found a single one of them with just a single (barrel) proof in the July 1905 - July 1908 timeframe, and to this point, I have surveyed more than 1,000 total guns.