In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt AR Upper

SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Ask the Experts
Guys, I need a little guidance. I have a Colt GM 6530 A2 AR-15. The upper has a built in carry handle along with the raised front sight and gas tube. My question is does anyone make a full flattop that does not require the offset pin. I have a different upper but it requires the offset pin and I consider it a real pain. Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why in the world do you think that is a real pain??? The real pain would be to some how spend another $400 for a different receiver. I'll send you the dammmmmm pin to save you that $400.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an offset pin already. What I don't have is an upper with a removable carry handle so I can mount a scope on it. I'm not looking forward to buying a new upper, but if it turns out that's the only decent way to mount a scope, then I would prefer an upper with a rail that doesn't require the pin, if it exists. I don't like the Colt offerings where the scope is looking right into the front sight post. I just didn't know if there was a third party vendor.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They do make carry handle scope mounts.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They raise the scope up a bit high, but they do have the handle-mounts as armilite posted if you want to shoot the fixed-handle upper with a scope.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Trijicon ACOG already mounted on the handle. At my ranch you might see wild pigs anywhere between 15 to 150 yards away. Although it is currently sighted in at 75 yards, it's hard to try and do a manual parallax calculation on a running pig when the scope is about 6 inches above the barrel. I have a push pin holding the upper and lower together, which is a simple arrangement I wanted to keep. I just thought that if a third party made a compatible flat top upper, I'd consider one. A heard of pigs can do several thousand dollars damage in one night, on those grounds the cost of an upper is negligible.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To give you an idea how far off bore axis your scope axis is for an AR flat top receiver, I measured it for a flat top M4 configured AR (a PSA upper & lower) and got 3.0 inches. The scope is an older Nikon 3X9X40mm+ Monarch scope. The top of the front post is also 3 inches above the bore axis. I don't notice the front post in the scope's field of view when shooting. I sight in the rifle at 50 yards, and check point of impact at 25 and 100 yards. I have been using Speer 70 grain SPs for deer/hog hunting and this seems to work fine but I have only shot one whitetail buck center of the neck at approximately 40 yards - so little experience on my part but the deer died instantly which is the best you can hope for in hunting. Anyway, if you plan on hog hunting - shoot them just above the midpoint between eye and ear works.
  • Options
    BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a flat top receiver, Rock River makes a scope mount that puts the scope high enough above the front sight that the sight doesn't interfere with the scope picture. Removable rear sights to use on the rail are also available if you want to remove the scope and use the iron sights. BT