In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

states not to send ar's to?

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Ask the Experts
hello, got a pre ban ar im getting ready to sell. can anyone give me a list of states or areas not to sell and send to, thanks

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    So called trouble states are: California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York, all of which have assault weapons restrictions of one sort or another.

I'm not saying that the rifle can't be sold in those states, but restrictions do exist which could complicate the transfer.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shipping through a knowledgeable FFL, should save you a lot of headaches and potential legal problems. Making sure that the receiving FFL on the other side of the deal, is also a 01 not a 03 licensee. Who would agree to receive and transfer the AR, prior to actual shipment.

I wouldn't be shipping any kind of a AR any place. Until I was sure all my ducks were in a row.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys. will be shipping ffl to ffl. that should protect me?
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My understanding is it's up to the buyers to know what they can "buy". Hell I've been at local gun stores when the Brown or FedEx dropped off. FFL opens up the packages, just to spin it around. So the buyer might be boned if the seller won't buy it back. Not that he has to.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Standard AR's can NOT be sold in NY State. No way, no how, unless they have freakish features thanks to King Cuomo's UnSAFE Act. Now, even those are being challenged. [:(!]

NY.State_.Police.may_.be_.cracking.down_.on_.SAFE_.Act_.approved.guns_-1.jpg
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a thought for a continuing discussion:

quote:got a pre ban ar im getting ready to sell.

A few years ago, our government passed the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, more commonly known as the 1994 Crime Bill.

There is no such thing as 'pre-ban' or 'post-ban' since the 1994 Crime Bill has expired and was not renewed. In essence it did not exist because it does not exist now. Generally speaking, it now makes no difference since all AR15s can be sold in nearly every configuration including SBR. The only one missing is full auto, of course.

But the term 'pre-ban' CAN be used when referring to some AR15s still in states which have passed newer bans. Any AR15 dated before these bans will take place or have already taken place could be termed a 'pre-ban' but only on that state.

Best.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some AR-types are legal (or illegal) in some states. If you want a specific answer, you have to provide a detailed description of what you are selling.

Or, you can ignore the potential problem & just state in your listing, "It is the buyer's responsibility to know if this rifle is legal in his state. Check with your local dealer before you bid."

Neal