In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert H or other experts

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in Ask the Experts
how do you date a Winchester 69 or 69a as they don't have a serial number

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there a date stamp on the bottom side of the barrel, nearest the receiver?
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are right in that they did not have serial numbers. If the bolt cocks on closing then it is a 69 made prior to November 1937, if the bolt cocks on opening and has a straight bolt, was made more than likely between 1938 and 1945, from what I have read starting in 1946 bolt was bent back some, and the trigger was grooved. The one that I have I figure was made between 1938 and 1945.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrel date (2-digit year number) that tsr1956 mentioned is best method for determining the approximate date of manufacture. That stated, Winchester stopped stamping the 2-digit year number on the barrels in 1955.

There is one true Model 69/69A expert (a friend of mine) that can very closely determine the manufacture date, but it requires a hands on inspection. He is very nearly ready to publish a superb reference book about the Model 69/69A/697 series of rifles.