In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Custom Ruger Vaquero in 25-20? Do they do that?

oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Will Ruger make a custom Vaquero in 25-20cal? Do they have a custom shop or business that does stuff like that? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger does not but Hamilton Bowen does. But it is not cheap to do. He charges $1195 to do a Vaquero in .25-20 and that does not include the price of the gun. http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/catalog/ruger_single_action_basic_caliber_conversions.html
    The package # to do it is RS06
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. Have made contact with Hamilton Bowen and now will have to get my hands on a New Vaquero which they recomend if wanting the fixed sight style. Leaning towards 5.5/6.5 barrel lingth and can't decide blue or stainless.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldgunman
    Thanks for the info. Have made contact with Hamilton Bowen and now will have to get my hands on a New Vaquero which they recomend if wanting the fixed sight style. Leaning towards 5.5/6.5 barrel lingth and can't decide blue or stainless.

My understanding of why that Ruger didn't make a revolver chambered for the .256 Winchester, and why Smith & Wesson had so much trouble with the revolvers chambered for the 22 jet. Was that the high pressures these cartridges use cause the cylinders to lock up. I would get this straightened out with Bowen prior to buying a new Vaquero and paying him big bucks for converting it to 25-20. If the Vaquero he's going to build for you is going to lock up using your loads, it's going to be nothing but a expensive useless paperweight.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

My understanding of why that Ruger didn't make a revolver chambered for the .256 Winchester, and why Smith & Wesson had so much trouble with the revolvers chambered for the 22 jet. Was that the high pressures these cartridges use cause the cylinders to lock up. I would get this straightened out with Bowen prior to buying a new Vaquero and paying him big bucks for converting it to 25-20. If the Vaquero he's going to build for you is going to lock up using your loads, it's going to be nothing but a expensive useless paperweight.

Well to be clear, .357 magnums (for example) run at considerably higher pressures than the old blackpowder .32/20 (ie 35k PSI vs. 28k psi).

The problem isn't the pressure in an absolute sense. Its that ordinary revolvers don't like bottleneck rifle rounds. The cases expand on firing, the tapered shoulder forces the spent cartridges back out under pressure, where they then stick to the rear part of the frame right behind the cylinder and lock up the gun.

But I definitely agree with the rest of this. I would also specifically address this issue with Bowen and ask him a. If he's done this conversion before, b. If he's ever had problems, with the cartridges locking the gun cylinder, and c. What would he do *IF* such a problem arose.

There is no point in paying what amounts to $1500 for a custom revolver, only to find out that its effectively a single-shot pistol!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks rufe/bean for the very good advice. While I really want a cowboy style pistol to go with my 25-20cal collection, I really want it to fuction and use it. Love the knowledge you guys have and share here.[:)]Thanks to all here.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The breech face needs a slight taper to allow fired, backed out cases to have increasing base clearance as the cylinder rotates.
    Cases will be distorted as fired bases wont be perpendicular to case axes.
    It may affect longevity of cases as bases wont be straightened in resizing and depending on orientation in the cylinder will stretch in another direction.
    The issue may be minor and insignificant on case life.
    Experience will tell.
  • Options
    AmishWarlordAmishWarlord Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any news on the 25-20 revolver?