In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 question from my youth

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
My dad had a .22 rifle when I was a kid that was semi-auto and would shoot shorts, longs, and long rifle. The unique (and most likely identifying feature) is that you could push the charging handle in and that locked it, essentially making it a single-shot.

I also remember that it was a jam-o-matic but it could have just been that gun. It has been misplaced (or walked off) years ago and I think he would love it if I could find one to replace it.

I know this isn't much to go on, but that push-in handle/button might be all one of our experts need.
Thanks guys. [:)]
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a Savage or Stevens.
    Models 6 and 87 had that feature.
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=326059497
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking at the pictures of what I can find, I think you have hit the nail on the head. After seeing pictures, I also rembember that vented area on the opposite side of the receiver (pic below) and I remember that cheap safety. The rest, I don't recall.

I thought it would be a longshot with such a vague description but that sure seems a likely candidate. An expert answer for sure. [:)] Thanks Tflogger!
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Springfield 87a with the 'Birdcage' vent area on the left side. Had several variations of the bolt handle, my Dad's was a round, knurled knob but Savage/Stevens seemed to have a lever.

Dan R
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High Standard actually made one like the savage. I recall it is a different diameter of the action. Someone also made them for box stores as I have a JC Higgins.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lcdrdanr
    Springfield 87a with the 'Birdcage' vent area on the left side. Had several variations of the bolt handle, my Dad's was a round, knurled knob but Savage/Stevens seemed to have a lever.

Dan R

This ^^^^^^, I've got one now and it still functions great BUT mine is marked STEVENS 87A, not Springfield or Savage.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful of using modern HV ammo in those older 22 semiauto rifles.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a kassnar several yrs ago that was similar, had a 10 rnd magazine instead of tube fed
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Be careful of using modern HV ammo in those older 22 semiauto rifles.
    Why ?? Mine seems to be made out of alot better materials and steel than these modern .22's including the barrels. I've shot every known .22 L.R bullet except the .22 mag. and no problems with function. [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will eat any kind of ammo and they are fairly good shooters! I have two, a Springfield tube magazine and a Western Field with a ten round magazine. Both were gifts that people thought would never function again and I fully restored them and show the prior owners when finished.

Emmett
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The more pictures I find of your suggestions, the more I am sure it is the 87a. I am pretty sure it was Springfield but all I can find pics of are the Savage. I say that because I don't think any of my family ever had a Savage until we got a 22/410 OU.

Thank you guys very much. Your expert status remains untainted. [:D][:p][;)]

I guess my search now starts for once in nice condition. Hopefully it will feed well. I am glad these aren't very expensive. The other one dad had that was lost was around 100 years old and it was a winchester pump with octagon barrel. Those are out of my price range to replace for him.