In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

skeet shooting with glasses

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Anyone else have trouble shooting skeet with glasses?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have trouble shooting anything (reading, driving, finding my pants, etc.) WITHOUT glasses.
    What's your problem?
    Your stylish granny glasses don't let you see down the barrel?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't wear granny glasses, and please don't bother to comment on any of my posts, ok.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    One of the best investments I ever made was when I found my eyes going and needing reading glasses...discovered it when I hard time reading info on small cartridges like caliber and such...I called my eye guy and went in and he fitted me with a pair of shooting glasses. They were expensive but they are bifocals and are tinted and I use them all the time. But, again, they ain't cheap....like the price of a hardly used Glock. I have used them for shooting trap as they are also sun glasses...as Dirty Harry said..."Very stylish..." But no trouble in any kind of shooting with them.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GRANNY Glasses ?????
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, what do YOU call them?
    Wire rims and tiny lenses. Not much field of view over a gun, and not much protection if something pops. I see way too many of them on ranges. Actually I see too many naked eyes on rifle and shotgun ranges, apparently nobody but action pistol shooters are serious about eye protection, barring a few clubs with liability fears.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot skeet for many years (approx 40), and I, and everyone I know who shoots regularly, wear glasses. Most are shooting glasses, some prescription, some not; many tinted, and in various colors to enhance vision under various conditions. All are for protection to the eyes. The dangers include pieces of clay birds, stray or ricocheting shot pellets, gases from the actions of semi-autos, and the possible (if very rare) gun failure. Over the years, many of these gentlemen and ladies are or have been champion-quality shooters, on local, state, and even some on national levels. I would feel naked without glasses when shooting, and so would they. I would advise never shooting without protective glasses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I believe the colored glasses enhances "seeing" the bird in skeet. Cuts the glare and protects the eyes. We do not allow anyone to shoot at our clubs (several in my area) without ear and eye protection. If the gun is fit to you it should not be an issue, if you are hitting the glasses with your stock an adjustment in the gun is needed.

The "right" glasses for each type shooting can get expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.