In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 32 Police Positive

headboyheadboy Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt Police Positive marked - 32 police CTG
According to the Ser No website it was made in 1912.
I was told that I could shoot Smith and Wesson 32 Longs in this gun. Does that sound right?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Jim

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i received a old colt 32 police positive what is the correct ammo you can fire from this pistol? 32 long, 32 short? the ammo i received with the gun and shot thru the pistol at the range is stamped on the headstamp PMC 32 s&wl. is this the correct ammo 32 smith & wesson long? thanks for any help
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can fire both the .32 Long and .32 S&W(.32 Short). Colt just didn't want the S&W name on their guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok thanks. An ammo guy sold me a box of 32 long S&W just wnated make sure he was not just selling me ammo.
    Thanks
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After 100+ years, no telling what has or hasn't been done to it. Make sure it's in time and it locks up tight, before do any fast double action type shooting.

I have shot next to folks at ranges with a out of time revolvers. It's one of those classic, What The &*#^ moments, when you start getting hit by those flying chunks of lead.
  • Options
    area51guyarea51guy Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both the 32 Colt New Police and the S&W 32 Long use a cartridge case with the same dimensions. The only real difference in the two rounds was that the S&W used a round nosed lead bullet and the Colt round used a flat nosed lead bullet. Pressures and ballistics were about equal. By 1912, Colt had adjusted most of their bore diameters to use the cartridges with the inside lubed bullet rather than the older style (and fatter) outside lubed bullet. Either round should be safe in your revolver assuming that it has no mechanical issues.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again everyone. The old gun is in good condition and tight so I think were good to go with the S&W 32 Longs.