In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

which cleaning kit to buy

educatedredneckeducatedredneck Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can't find my 45 year old cleaning kit and need to buy a new one. There are so many on the market I don't have a clue which is best. I have 3 (three) .22 rifles - one is a Remington 597 the other two are bolt action and 60+ years old. Also have a .35 rifle lever action and a Winchester model 88 .284 lever action, a .22 semi auto pistol and a .38 special revolver.
Any suggestions? With the price of ammo I have to watch every penney.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself an OTIS pull thru. It cleans guns, especially like your Model 88, like they should be cleaned...from the breech to the muzzle.

Best
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The HOPPES kit in the wood box is very convenient to use. It has everything you need (not sure of all the brush sizes). The pull thru is also good to have. Don't over clean the .22's. The wax coating left by the wax coated bullets is an excellent bore preservative.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Unless you are a very occasional shooter, I'd say 'don't buy a kit.' Segmented aluminum rods have failed me many times, bending, picking up grit, and ultimately snapping.

My advice? Buy a .22 bore snake for the .22s, and a nice coated dewey rod for the larger guns, plus appropriate bore brushes and jags. Tipton makes a nice multiple jag kit for all calibers out of nickle coated metal.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tsr is right. Bought an otis specifically to clean semi auto 22's and semi auto centerfires. The otis kit allows you to clean the lever and semi auto actions as they should be cleaned. It is also great on any other rifles too. Should have had this years ago.
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recommend Otis also!!