In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

two tone 45 acp magazines

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me what was the purpose of only bluing half on some 45 acp Colt magazines hence the name 2 tone. Any info is appreciated. Terrill

Comments

• Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Value Engineering
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 338magnut
    Can anyone tell me what was the purpose of only bluing half on some 45 acp Colt magazines hence the name 2 tone. Any info is appreciated. Terrill

The earlier steels required heat-treating after bending and welding a magazine into its finished shape. Colt did this by heating the upper portion (feed lips) by dipping them in molten cyanide, then quenching (cooling rapidly) by dunking them in oil.

From my reading, Colt originally was doing this process before bluing, but they realized the "charcoal bluing" process used on firearms early in the 20th century (which involved heating during the finishing) was causing changes in the tempering done to magazines' feed-lips, so they changed their practices and started doing the heat-treating of magazine feed-lips after the bluing process. This caused the finish to be lost where the magazine entered the molten cyanide.

My understanding is that it was changes in metallurgy, elimination of the charcoal-bluing processes previously used for finishes, along with changes in tempering techniques, that resulted in magazines no longer receiving a dip in molten cyanide so the two-tone appearance disappeared.

You'll see that "two-tone" appearance applied on modern magazines -- which doesn't involve any heat-treating -- to make magazines look like vintage magazines, sometimes sold legitimately as a reproductions, sometimes as counterfeits.