In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mags

snox302snox302 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Why is it that so many aftermarket hi-cap mags for many guns are complete junk. I hear everybody say that for reliability, you should stay with factory mags. Is there some secret to making magazines that only the major companies know?

Hopefully you guys can enlighten me.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between the 556 mag and the 6.8 mag? and are they interchangable. thanks for your help.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    need to clear up.will a pp380 mag fit and work in a ppks380 pistol???????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know if a beretta M9/92fs mag will work in a Beretta 96? I have all three, and tried it today with 1 round--it worked.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Basically:

The indents that run the length of the mag on either side apply stabilization pressure to the cases as they move up the magazine. They are "deeper" on the 5.56 mags than they are on the 6.8 mags (the 5.56 being a smaller diameter case).

You can get 5 to 6 rounds of 6.8 in a 5.56 mag before the mag swells to the point of not fitting into the mag well. And even before then, you might have feeding issues.

So...the mags are not interchangeable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info thats what I thought that the indent was deeper on the 556. Again thanks for the help[:D]